LJA Mission Statement:
The mission of Lake Junaluska is to be a place of Christian hospitality where lives are transformed through renewal of soul, mind and body.
Located in the Smoky Mountains of Western North Carolina, Lake Junaluska is a conference and retreat center that hosts over 50,000 overnight guests annually. We have over 400 lodging rooms, a campground, and meeting space for up to 2,000 people. All of our facilities are located on a scenic 1,200 acre campus which boasts panoramic views, abundant recreation opportunities, and a 200 acre lake. Our market ranges from youth groups to affluent leisure guests primarily from the Southeastern US.
The primary purpose of this position is to develop new program events, both short and long term, to increase group business, revenue growth, and the expansion of Lake Junaluska products and/or services, and to support the mission and strategic directions of the organization. This position works closely with the Program Coordinator, Director of Youth Ministries, Director of the Lake Junaluska Singers, Director of Development, Director of Revenue Management, Director of Sales, Marketing Manager, and the Executive Director/CEO.
The Program Director will also work with design teams for The Festival of Wisdom and Grace, Choir Music Weekend and other sponsored events, assisting with budget management, event planning, and marketing needs. The Program Director will coordinate with independent contractors and Lake Junaluska staff to ensure all objectives are achieved and revenue is maximized. The ideal candidate is energetic and passionate about all things related to programming.
- Sponsored Programs and Events
- Responsible for planning, promoting, implementing, and evaluating Lake Junaluska events for youth, adults, and families that meet missional and strategic goals of the organization.
- Develop new short-and long-term programs that support the strategic direction of the organization.
- Partner with the Marketing department; promote programs through print, web, and social media.
- Build and strengthen relationships with stakeholders with the ultimate outcome to increase program participation.
- Communicate with internal and external stakeholders to address project issues and make decisions on services.
- Create and manage long-term programming goals.
- Produce accurate and timely financial and registration status reports for each program.
- Ensure program and/or event goals are met to include, but not limited to:
- Mission fulfillment
- Strategic growth
- Customer satisfaction
- Program quality
- Operational team performance
- Guest and team member safety
- Direct the day-to-day operations of the programming department and manage the team's performance to ensure the team achieves and/or exceeds mission fulfillment, revenue targets, operational excellence, group satisfaction and strategic direction of the organization.
- Create and manage departmental revenue and expense budgets to meet or exceed annual goals.
- Manage a team with a diverse array of talents and responsibilities.
- Build and maintain strong working relationship within the organization to enable cross functional communication and development.
- Work within the structure of the Lake Junaluska staff, Programming Department, and the related policies.
- Must possess excellent hospitality skills and a strong desire to foster an attitude of Christian hospitality to “exceed guest expectations”.
- Comply with all safety policies, practices and procedures and report any unsafe activities or conditions immediately to supervisor or the Human Resources department.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned and required.