We are looking for amazing teachers and school leaders who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to support teacher, leader, and student learning. You’ll be right at home here if you learn from failure and have a growth mindset, cultivate strong relationships, and push yourself, your work and the people around you to the next level.
NMSI Coaches are experienced educators who demonstrate a track record of success working with students in high-need schools, hold high expectations for students, teachers, and leaders, and have strong organizational and communication skills.
- Experience: Deep knowledge of content and instruction, with at least 4 years of teaching experience in AP Science, Math, Computer Science, Spanish, English, History, or Art courses; Pre-AP math, science, computer science, ELA, or social studies courses; Pre-K-5 classroom instruction; and/or Leadership Development, experience as a school leader/administrator, counselor, department head, etc.
- Other Preferred Experience: STEM-based learning experience, experience in high-need schools or with high-need populations, and a proven track record of raising student achievement is preferred. AP Reader experience is preferred for Coaches who will work with AP teachers and students. Experience coaching teachers in modifying, adapting, or extending curricula to better address student needs and facilitating professional development
- Mission Focused: Strong belief in the ability of all students to achieve at high levels and willingness to advocate for equity and access in AP, Pre-AP, or other STEM programs and classrooms.
- College-Readiness Guru: Strong familiarity and experience with state and national teaching standards as they relate to College-readiness standards, such as AP assessment frameworks, Common Core State Standards, and Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS)
- Understand Effective Teaching and/or School Leadership: Immediate understanding of what effective teaching and or school leadership looks like and a deep commitment to the importance of effective and rigorous instruction.
- Technology Proficiency: Ability to facilitate a learning experience in an online LMS such as Blackboard, Canvas, and/or Google Classroom. These skills include but are not limited to:
- Respond to participant questions, emails, and discussion board posts in a professional way that is in accordance with NMSI standards for learning.
- Review online course materials to ensure technical accuracy, submit any errors/improvements, and be confident/prepared to teach.
- Review and update online grade books and provide constructive feedback.
- Facilitate live synchronous sessions that promote a positive learning environment.
- (Preferred qualification) Ability to build a learning experience for teachers and students using content authoring tools such as Articulate.
- (Preferred qualification) Ability to navigate and create course content in an LMS such as Blackboard and Google Classroom.
- Expert Communicator: Ability to communicate direct feedback in a compelling way that inspires teachers and leaders to make immediate improvements to instruction that will accelerate their students’ achievement; Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Flexible – You are comfortable working in an ambiguous environment with competing priorities.
- Growth Mindset: You learn from failure and crave feedback because you know that it makes you better; you are also eager to give feedback to your manager, team, and colleagues. Committed to ongoing training and education in adult facilitation.
- Committed: Ability to deliver a total of 10-28 days of teacher, leader, or student facing events over a calendar year. Many events occur during the summer and on Saturdays, but some weekday school-year events may also need to be facilitated.
What do we offer?
The hourly rate for this position is $30/hour ($33/hour in the Tri-State area – NY, NJ, CT). At NMSI, we take pay equity seriously and work hard to ensure our team members are paid fairly no matter their gender, race, or other demographic backgrounds. Part-time staff are eligible to participate in 401(k) after 90 days of employment, with up to a 6% employee match, fully vested on day one of participation in the plan. We strive to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff members can show up as their authentic selves.
The organization has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate.
National Math + Science Initiative (NMSI) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. NMSI complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which we have employees. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.