The Access Intake Specialist works alongside the Access Coordinators ensures accurate assessment and placement of referrals to produce positive outcomes of treatment for patients served in the timeliest manner possible and within the most efficient utilization of available resources. This position conducts referral screening, patient admission, coordination and transitions of care, liaison with county or state referral sources, community outreach, and coordination of preauthorization processes to ensure a comprehensive ability to collect for services rendered. This role is responsible for appropriate clinical assessment of referrals and providing clinical consultation, as needed, to the Access department and Kerr programs.
This is a great opportunity to leverage your past experience and apply your expertise in working with children and adolescents to support effective systems and help clients receive the best care.
Albertina Kerr empowers people with intellectual and developmental disabilities, mental health challenges and other social barriers to lead self-determined lives and reach their full potential. When you join Kerr, you become part of a team motivated to provide innovative and excellent programs, services and care.
All Kerr employees are required to be fully vaccinated or meet the requirements for a medical or religious exception prior to beginning work.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
- Accurately assesses referred client documentation in relation to program services in conjunction with the Consulting Psychiatrist, Program Therapist, and Program Director when necessary. Expediently communicates with referral source regarding outcome of referred client and possible admission date.
- Works directly with guardians and families to guide them through admission processes utilizing general knowledge of all Kerr programs, clinical capacity, and admission criteria to effectively triage referrals and obtain pre-authorization for services.
- Will serve as a clinical liaison between Kerrs programs and the Access Center. This may include, but is not limited to attending clinical rounds, care coordination meetings, frequent communication with program leaders, participation in programmatic problem solving discussions, and intake assessments.
- On an as-needed basis, ensures development and implementation of comprehensive, individualized mental health assessment and Individual Service Support Plan for each client and family. Provides competent, therapeutic coordination of care according to the relevant OARs and ISSRs.
- Builds positive working relationships and collaborates with community agencies, families, physicians, state and county agencies and peers in a calm and professional demeanor.
- Manages internal and external referrals via Epic and other internal systems.
- Manages admissions into programs to successfully meet census requirements per contract, budget or target thresholds.
- Checks patients insurance coverages and requirements. Processes authorization requests and initiates single case agreements with non-contracted payers.
- Schedules patients first appointments and on-going appointments as appropriate.
- Ensures intake paperwork is complete or distributed to appropriate point of contact for completion.
- Maintains systems to ensure consistency of the intake and admission process, including but not limited to admission checklists, filing systems, data entry and audits and program waiting lists.
- Answers and returns calls from community members in a timely manner.
- Completes data projects and other special projects as assigned by Access Manager.
- Effectively markets program services with present and potential referral sources via delivering informative tours, sending documentation regarding program descriptions and/or presentations, distributing routine capacity availability notification via email, and maintaining coordinated relationships with referral sources.
- Adapts to change and thrives in an environment centered on continuous improvement, takes initiative to expand knowledge of mental health and related systems and works closely with other Kerr departments to implement Lean practices in order to improve our clients experience.
- Eligible and actively pursuing an individual professional licensure in a relevant clinical field.