POSITION TITLE: Guest Services Associate I
DIVISION: Program Ministries
DEPARTMENT: Emergency Shelters
REPORTS TO: Director, Womens Emergency Shelter
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
SALARY GRADE: Grade 27
SHIFT SCHEDULE: Sun, Mon, Tues, Wed 6:00 - 3:00pm with occasional evenings, weekends and holidays.
Seattle's Union Gospel Mission is currently looking for a Overnight Guest Services Associate, Part Time to join the KentHOPE team in Kent, WA.
Seattle's Union Gospel Mission is a private faith-based organization that helps the community to reach out with compassion to those who have lost hope. And as a community, we empower one another to build, lead and give back
The Guest Services Associate will work with a dedicated staff to help create a safe, welcoming, and healing environment for woman and children at KentHOPE. This position is a part of a 24-hour team to provide information, referral, and support services to KentHOPE guests. Responsible for providing leadership for the guests, overseeing volunteers, maintaining facility safety and cleanliness. KentHOPE operated a day center for women and children and a rotating overnight shelter for single, adult women.
Essential Job Duties
- Help maintain a positive, pleasant and Christian atmosphere
- Provide daily, positive interaction and guidance to guests. Assist with housing, employment, child care searches, goal setting and connect guests to other services providers through weekly check-ins and by providing pertinent resources
- Oversee safety and cleanliness of facility on shift, including chore supervision. Perform janitorial and maintenance duties as needed.
- Uphold the guidelines of UGM Emergency Shelters to maintain a safe, healing environment - enforcing consequences, writing contracts, and holding guests accountable when necessary.
- Complete all aspects of the guest intake process: phone screen, determine eligibility, new guest orientation and instruction, and assignment of bed and storage spaces. Provide other resources as needed.
- Daily compile a thorough record of the events on your shift in staff log, maintain updated records in Client Track and communicate with other staff via email and Client Track.
- Monitor incoming persons, assisting and directing visitors and guests.
- Coordinate, train and supervise volunteers in conjunction with the volunteer department. Assist in the creation of meaningful and productive roles in which volunteer serve. Interact positively and cooperatively with volunteers.
- Complete data entry, documents, and assist with administrative tasks as assigned by your Supervisor.
- Keep donations organized and put away, assist in distribution of clothing and hygiene items to guests.
- Help coordinate and facilitate community meeting as needed and directed by supervisor
- Assist with event preparation and coordination (including holidays, community events, and guest outings)
- Assist with meal preparation as needed
- Respond to emergency situations promptly, in a calm and capable manner. De-escalate guests during tense situations as needed.
- Attend and participate in all Mission, Division and Department meetings and trainings, as required.
- Any other job-related duties as assigned by supervisor and WCM Leadership
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- The successful candidate will have an active church/prayer life and demonstrate a strong desire to serve the Mission by ministering to those whom it serves.
- Must agree with Seattles Union Gospel Mission Statement of Faith, Mission and Vision Statements and have a personal ethos and work ethic that reflects the Missions Core Values.
- Sensitivity to cultural diversity is required.
- Seattles Union Gospel Mission accepts and encourages the involvement of volunteers at all levels in the organization. All Mission employees are expected to assist in the creation of meaningful and productive roles in which volunteers might serve in the organization, and to interact positively and cooperatively with our volunteers.
- Ability to successfully pass pre-employment drug and criminal background screenings.
- Demonstrated organizational and administrative skills, including excellent written and verbal skills.
- Ability to work in cooperation with other Mission staff and partner organizations.
- Ability to follow through on projects and tasks.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word and Excel Required)
- Ability to be proactive in recognizing problems and present appropriate solutions.
- Ability to have difficult conversations regarding guidelines and rules.
- Ability to de-escalate guests.
- Ability to maintain a positive and friendly personality and excellent customer service toward guests, visitors, volunteers and staff in all situations
- Ability to stand, walk or sit for extended periods of time; bend, stoop or reach.
- Regularly lift and/or carry up to 30 pounds.
- Talk on telephone and use computer extensively.
High school diploma or equivalent required
1 year customer service experience required.
1 year working in a social services environment required.
Statement of Faith
- We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the infallible, authoritative Word of God.
- We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three Persons; Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory.
- We believe that for the salvation of lost and sinful men, regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential.
- We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a Godly life.
- We believe in the bodily resurrection of the just and unjust, the everlasting blessedness of the saved, and the everlasting conscious punishment of the lost.
- We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in Christ.
To serve, rescue and transform those in greatest need, through the grace of Jesus Christ.
- Sacred Relationships
- Passionate Urgency
- Strategic Effectiveness
- Courageous Belief
- Innovative and Scrappy