Do you enjoy helping others through their personal recovery journey? If so, the INSET Recovery Specialist could be the position you’re looking for!
As the INSET Recovery Specialist - Part Time (Intensive and Sustained Engagement and Treatment) you’ll work with people toward their recovery goals by providing supports and services to help individuals who have frequent periods of acute distress, recurrent emergency room visits and hospitalizations, and for whom prior programs of care and support have been ineffective.
Independent Living, Inc., is a progressive and dynamic cross-disability services organization and a leader in the provision of peer services in the Hudson Valley region. As an INSET Recovery Specialist - PART TIME you must have personal lived experience as a former or current user of mental health services and be comfortable with self-disclosure as needed. Bachelor's Degree in a human services field from an accredited college or a comparable combination of education and work experience, which should include at least 2 years of employment in the mental health/ social services field. Must have a willingness to complete all requirements for the New York State Certification as a Peer Specialist.
Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide mobile, community based, flexible and sustained interventions to help individuals who have frequent periods of acute distress, recurrent emergency room visits and hospitalizations, and for whom prior programs of care and support have been ineffective.
- Address immediate needs while also establishing and/or strengthening family and social networks for sustained support to help participants achieve their specific goals.
- Offer direct outreach and support for adults who have been diagnosed with behavioral health conditions.
- Work with participants toward their recovery goals, both individually and in group settings in the larger Orange/Sullivan communities.
- Provide linkages to needed professional, recovery, peer, family and other natural supports in the community.
- Support recovery by providing services that reflect our deeply held values that include the recognition of individual rights of self-determination, choice, shared decision-making and collaboration.
- Provide individual peer support and collaborative record keeping for approximately 10-15 individuals.
- Provide regular participant contact, community outreach, individual support, group facilitation and crisis support as needed.
- The INSET Recovery Specialist needs to become aware of all relevant physical, behavioral health and substance abuse treatment, employment, educational, housing, respite, entitlement, care coordination, natural and social supports in the community and proactively facilitate connection to these services with participants as needed.
- Schedule and co-facilitate social network meetings for participants, as requested.
- Weekly full-time schedule may include two evenings per week and one week-end day.
- Assist individuals with bridging from respite, emergency rooms, periods of incarceration, hospitalization and other institutional settings into independent community living.
- Utilize Strengths-Based Assessment tools, Advanced Directives and develop Wellness/Recovery Plans as desired by participants served.
- Other duties as assigned or as required by the needs of the position.
- Honesty, respect for diversity, high personal standards, language and behaviors reflecting such values and the Independent Living philosophy.
- Prior knowledge and/or use of Trauma-Informed, Person-Centered Practice and Motivational Interviewing skills.
- Knowledge of the Recovery process and the ability to facilitate recovery using established standardized mental health processes, as well as peer driven self-help alternatives such as WRAP Plans, Advance Directives and Hearing Voice Network groups.
- Knowledge of Orange and Sullivan County community resources for individuals diagnosed with mental health or co-occurring conditions.
- Knowledge and skills to teach and engage in basic problem-solving strategies to support individuals in self-directed recovery.
- Knowledge of the signs of psychiatric crises, and peer engagement skills/de-escalation techniques.
- Familiarity with and ability to use an Electronic Health Record system.
- Monday through Friday 9am-5pm.
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Life insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Paid time off
- Flexible Schedule