Job Title: Mechanical Eng Design Specialist
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt Salary
Job Code: MEDSCR
Reports to: Refer to the most recently published organizational chart.
Design and modify equipment to meet McLanahan Corporation and industry standards utilizing experience, engineering knowledge, and tools such as Inventor and other software.
Essential Functions/Key Accountabilities:
- Follow direction provided by the Engineering Manager and keep supervisor advised of workload, problems and progress related to assignments.
- Maintain a safe working environment by adhering to, and enforcing all safety procedures and policies inside and outside the facility, including use of personal protective equipment.
- Represent McLanahan Corporation in a positive manner both internally and externally while adhering to the organizations core values.
- Communicate effectively with co-workers, management, customers, and others in a courteous and professional manner.
- Review customer drawings, specifications, and other applicable information to understand application requirements and evaluate the feasibility of our equipment for the application.
- Work with Sales and process engineering to develop sales proposal drawings.
- Perform calculations such as performance analysis, stress analysis, hydraulic system performance, drive train performance, risk assessment, cost analysis, etc as required
- Design and modify equipment to meet customer requirements that is cost effective to manufacture, and simple to operate and maintain.
- Create drawings that are easy to understand and convey design intent.
- Assist with the preparation of project documentation and technical data, such as qualification test procedures, acceptance test procedures, reports, etc.
- Perform liaison function with all manufacturing operations for any design-related issues, problems, or suggestions for improvement.
- Work with Project Management to ensure project deliverables meet timelines.
- Provide support to internal customers including manufacturing, purchasing, quality, accounting, publications, sales, marketing, and customer service.
- Interact with vendors concerning parts they supply or propose to supply.
- Travel to job sites as required to trouble-shoot, inspect, repair, and oversee equipment
This position is typically located in an office setting and requires sitting and standing for long periods of time, but will interact with personnel and equipment/process in the manufacturing environment. The position requires ambulatory skills sufficient to travel domestically and internationally. Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm, hand and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp, visual acuity to use a keyboard, and operate standard office equipment Ability to stand, walk and manipulate (lift, carry, move) light to medium weights of up to 50 lbs. Requires the ability to express or exchange ideas by means of both verbal and written communication.
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelors Degree in Engineering, or other equivalent trainings as approved by Engineering Director and Human Resources Director.
- Up to five years of experience.
- Competent user of 3D solid modeling software, Autodesk Inventor is preferred. Competency with AutoCad is also a plus.
- Experience performing analysis, including structural, performance, drivetrain, and risk/hazard.
- Computer literacy including MS Office applications.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to rely on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Ability to successfully reach company goals in an environment in which a wide degree of creativity and latitude is required.
This position description outlines the major duties performed but is not intended to be all-inclusive. Additional duties may be assigned/performed as needed and determined by management. This position description is subject to change at any time.