This employee oversees the copyediting, production, and publication of research articles and other content accepted for publication in APAs monthly journal devoted to mental health services delivery, Psychiatric Services, and its quarterly journal for advancing the theory, science, and clinical practice of psychotherapy, the American Journal of Psychotherapy. Ensures that articles meet standards of quality and editorial style. Synthesizes, writes, and coordinates content for promotion to multiple audiences (internal and external) in multiple formats (print, online, e-mail, etc.) to encourage online usage.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Performs technical review of papers in peer review system for potential production problems and provides instruction for decision letters to authors.
Copyedits and reviews freelanced copyediting for publication in Psychiatric Services and the American Journal of Psychotherapy
- Edits articles as assigned for style, grammar, and accuracy; ensures that manuscripts present authors ideas in a clear, precise, and effective manner, verifying scientific nomenclature for accuracy and consistency and resolving discrepancies between text and displayed material and in cited references.
- Oversees work assigned to freelancers:
- performs second reads of manuscripts copyedited by freelancers to ensure that the level of editing is appropriate and meets standards for style, grammar, accuracy, and presentation and to complete production work on tables and graphics as needed.
- provides feedback to freelancers as needed.
- Uses the online submission site (ScholarOne Manuscripts) to identify any special instructions from Editor and to evaluate copyright and disclosure forms for compliance with APAP policies; edits the manuscript accordingly, adding disclosure statements as needed.
- Edits and formats tables and reviews and validates type and digital tagging (XML) specifications to meet typesetter and online platform vendor requirements.
- Edits authors graphics and instructs Production Manager on formatting for print and online presentation.
- Confers with authors about their edited manuscripts and page proofs to ensure accurate incorporation of alterations and satisfactory resolution of problems/issues.
Quality assurance and production
- Performs quality checks of edited manuscript files and revised typeset proofs before releasing to vendor.
- Identifies and implements adjustments to workflow to accommodate new technologies and procedures.
- Prioritizes work to minimize time between article acceptance and publication and facilitate article-based workflow, adjusting schedule on occasion to accommodate high-visibility articles.
Promotion of content
- Writes succinct, character-limited text for promoting use of online content for internal and external audiences.
- Notifies APA Communications and social media team of upcoming content for press release consideration.
- Performs other duties as assigned.