EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- High School Diploma or GED.
- 1 – 3 months prior experience as a firewatch/holewatch/bottlewatch preferred.
- Prior experience working in a refinery or petrochemical facility preferred.
- Safety-oriented attitude with a true commitment to personal safety, as well as the safety of others is a must.
- Must be willing/able to don respiratory protection equipment for extended periods of time if necessary.
- Good driving record to drive company vehicle and access client facilities.
- Ability to read, write and comprehend English (operational, process, safety and quality instructions and work permits and Plant / Refinery Fire Watch and Fresh Air procedures).
- Ability to operate equipment including atmospheric monitoring meters (O2, -H2S, CO & LEL), radios and fire extinguishers. Familiarity with plant equipment where work is being performed is helpful.
KEY SKILLSETS & ABILITIES:
- Organization and Judgment: Demonstrates initiative and exercises good judgment, planning work and carrying out tasks without detailed instructions; makes constructive suggestions; prepares for problems or opportunities in advance and undertakes additional responsibilities.
- Attention to Detail: Thoroughness in accomplishing a task through concern for all the areas involved, no matter how small. Monitors and checks work or information and plans and organizes time and resources efficiently.
- Adaptability: Ability to adapt quickly to change and be open to considering new approaches to solving problems and work processes.
- Language / Writing: Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, correspondence, and memos. Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively in one-on-one and small group situations, including clients and employees.
- Customer Orientation: Demonstrates concern for meeting internal and external customers' needs in a manner that provides satisfaction for the customer within the resources that can be made available.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee could be exposed to fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals and outside weather conditions. The employee may be exposed to high, precarious locations such as towers (up to 300ft.). They may be required to work in extreme cold and extreme heat and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions. Their work may involve risks to hazards such as: working around moving mechanical parts; risk of electrical shock; explosives and vibration. The noise level in the work environment may exceed 85dB and will require the use of hearing protection.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand or walk. They will need to use their hands and fingers to handle or feel and to reach with hands and arms. They will need to use their senses to see, feel, hear, taste and smell. The employee may be required to climb ladders, scaffolds and stairs to excessive heights of up to 300ft., and/or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must be able to carry/transport/move equipment up to 50 pounds for distances up to 300 yards. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Must be able to speak clearly in order to communicate with workers inside confined space as well as on radio in alerting rescue, etc.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Must possess a TWIC card.
- Current driver’s license from state of residence and proof of vehicle insurance with state liability minimum.