We have openings at the Jewish Community Center of St. Louis for two Teen Skills Camp Directors in our 2020 Summer Day Camp program. This seasonal position is available at our Creve Coeur location. Camp runs Monday-Friday May 26th to August 7th, 2020 which includes mandatory staff orientation.
In Teen Skills Camp, campers with developmental disabilities work on acquiring essential social and daily independent living skills as they enjoy traditional camp activities, such recreational swimming, arts and crafts, cooking, sports, Israeli culture, drama, archery, rock climbing, music, and nature. One director supports Teen Skills Jr for campers ages 11-15 and one director supports Teens Skills Sr for campers ages 16-21.
- Attend mandatory staff orientation and Parents’ meet and greet
- Plan, implement and supervise summer program for youth, teens, and young adults with disabilities.
- Create camp schedule and assist with special events.
- Work with Day Camp Director and Inclusion Coordinator to plan weekly field trips
- Assist Inclusion Counselors in appropriately managing crisis situations related to behavior or health as needed
- Hire, train, supervise, and evaluate Inclusion Counselors through out the summer
- Define camp goals and plan programming to reflect those goals
- Serve as lead staff person in administering the program
- Support children and youth with disabilities as they participate in group or individual activities
- Make accommodations to activities as needed to allow the child or youth to fully participate
- Assist Day Camp Directors in brain storming creative innovative ways to include campers with developmental and physical disabilities into traditional camp activities.
- Develop procedures for camp operations including ordering of supplies, record keeping, carpool, swimming, lunch, camper assessments, equipment set up and safety check, and performance night.
- Maintain regular parent communications
- Provide quality customer service at all times
- Recognize and respond to opportunities for problem solving
- Help each participant meet camp goals established for camper development
- Guide group/individual campers to participate successfully in all aspects of camp activities
- Observe camper behavior, assess its appropriateness, and apply appropriate behavior management techniques.
- Enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures
- Attend all staff meetings throughout the summer
- Collect progress notes from counselors each Friday
- Maintain good attendance
- Follow all camp rules and regulations
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Be available for the entire duration of camp