Role and Responsibilities
- The Department Leader is responsible for his departments performance in accordance with business objectives for manufacturing efficiency, safety, quality, budgets, and capital project management.
- Motivate, direct, coach and develop a diverse, high performing and engaged team to meet established goals and build organizational capability.
- Execute high standards for safety, quality and food safety across the production organization.
- Develop budgets and manage line and labor efficiencies, key performance indicators and line finances in support of greater plant and business strategic objectives and goals.
- Respond to company and customer needs with expert quality, timeliness, and customer services that contribute to successful outcomes.
- Ensure compliance to company specifications and regulatory policies.
- Drive Continuous Improvement (CI) culture in all aspects of the shift operation and in alignment with the overall plant CI culture.
- Ensure all facility equipment is maintained up to company standards
- Ensure plant follows all federal and state regulations along with company policy/procedure
- Monitor QI daily and provide recommendations to solve quality issues
- Develop and continuously analyze budget versus planned forecast and report monthly or as needed
- Conduct scheduled meetings (department, safety)
- Develop workforce through supervision, coaching, and training
- Ensure all plans and strategies are effectively communicated throughout the department
- Review, alter, and approve all departmental scheduling issues
- Review and approve promotional request form
- Assist in the selection of prospective new hire employees
- Collaborates with other departments (e.g., Risk Management, Internal Audit, Employee Services, Human Resources, etc.) to direct compliance issues to appropriate existing channels for investigation and resolution.
- Consults with other functions as needed to resolve difficult issues.
- Participation in project work and initiatives as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
- High School Diploma or GED required. Bachelor’s degree in Business or Engineering or equivalent work experience preferred.
- 5-10 years production/manufacturing experience.
- Strong technical skills required. Experience managing multiple shift operations.
- Experience with budgets and financial reporting.
- Experience with TPM culture preferred.
- Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) and general food safety standards knowledge is required
- Must be proficient in all MS Software and ERP applications. Familiarity with manufacturing systems and theory of operation.
- Self-starter able to conceptualize and drive initiatives forward
- Positive attitude and motivated by contributing to the overall success of the team
- Able to develop strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Creative problem-solving skills
- Obsessive attention to detail, well organized and able to juggle many projects at once
- Comfortable moving at a fast pace and in ambiguous environments
- Passionate about food
- Willing to address difficult situations head on with patience and respect
As A Leader Within the Kettle Cuisine Team You Are Expected To:
- Model and support Kettle’s Core Values and safety culture
- Create a culture of accountability & performance
- Drive a focus on quality and continuous improvement
- Plan work, track results and resolve variances
LEVEL OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Manages department, up to 120 direct reports across 3 shifts.
- Recommends actions and directions to supervisors, leads, and others.
- Position may have minor contact with outside vendors or contacts.
- Decisions or actions may have an impact on other departments and/or external relationships of the organization.
- Position is responsible for staffing requests, interviewing, promotion/ demotion, and staffing levels of department.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL EFFORT
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those a Department Leader encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Work requires occasional physical exertion, including some lifting of objects weighing up to 25 pounds.
Mental & Visual Demands
- Work performed by this position requires moderate concentration to effectively execute moderately complex tasks.
- Work occasionally requires some degree of visual effort for periods of time.
Work Environment and Hazards
- Employee works in a manufacturing setting with some exposure to heat, cold, dust, or other factors of minor inconvenience.
- The position has some exposure to hazards that might cause minor injury.
- Less than 25% travel is required for this position. Travel would be to other sites via airplane
- Department Leader must have availability and flexibility to work different shifts and weekends, to provide any needed direct leadership support to employees. May need to work weekends or overtime as required.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT
Kettle Cuisine complies with all aspects of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and state disability laws. This means we will not discriminate against qualified individuals with a disability in any phase of the employment relationship including application for employment, hiring, promotions and/or advancement opportunities, termination, compensation, training and any other conditions or privileges of employment.
Kettle Cuisine takes the utmost pride in its people, products and reputation. Each employee is expected to understand and live our Core Values every day.
- Honor Food – We create and produce the best tasting, safest, all-natural recipes that strive for perfection in every batch, from bench to kettle
- Honor Each Other – We seek to develop trusting, respectful and mutually rewarding relationships with all our team members and business partners
- Honor Development – We recognize and nurture each other’s talents, strengths and interests in order to further strengthen and grow our team
- Honor Innovation – We continually strive for creative and sustainable ways to achieve excellence