Title: Nutrition Research and Program Coordinator
Reports to: Director, Food and Nutrition Program
Status: Full Time; Regular; Non-Exempt
Location: Academy, with travel throughout the city
Days/Hours: 35 hours per week
The Fortune Society’s Food and Nutrition program promotes access to nourishing food for our clients, staff and community. We believe that everyone should have the ability to translate basic nutrition and apply it to their own food traditions. To that end, we encourage our community to not only celebrate their traditional foods, but to also use them as a pathway to greater health. In order to help our participants do this, we produce and increase access to food, nutrition services and science-based nutrition information.
The Director of Food and Nutrition seeks assistance in the areas of research, evaluation and program administration including nutrition education. Candidate should be able to independently conduct research including statistical analyses and support our Data Technician in the collection of data. Over the next year, the Nutrition Research and Program Assistant will focus on finalizing our SNAP Incentive Research study--see study summary below. Development of course and program evaluation and support of nutrition education are also responsibilities.
In 2017, Fortune launched its SNAP incentive program in partnership with local Harlem supermarkets. After spending $25 using SNAP, shoppers receive Fortune’s incentive to spend $25 on fruits and vegetables. The program seeks to increase the purchase and consumption of fruits and vegetables by low income consumers, particularly those who have been involved in the criminal justice system. We are looking to give final form to data collected over the past 3 years to determine if our program has indeed increased the purchase and consumption of fresh produce.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Analysis of large data set and performing quality control, report results including implications of findings for the unique population being studied. Includes organizing, cleaning, loading and managing data with support of Data Technician and internal Evaluation team.
- Creating visual aids (charts, graphs) and assist Director with reporting. Participate in documenting the research, methodology, and conclusions as well as documents suitable for lay audience.
- Collaborate with internal Evaluation Department.
- Communicate, providing internal and external requests for data.
- Develop evaluation tools to assess efficacy of nutrition programming. Support development of nutrition education materials and courses.
- Disseminate critical findings to relevant parties with support of Director
- Interview subjects as needed for study purposes.
Administrative responsibilities as appropriate and requested.