Lighthouse Central Florida is a mission-driven, values based organization providing optimal blend of rehabilitation training services and real world application to help individuals of all ages, who live with any degree of vision loss to adjust to their reality with grace and confidence so that can remain active, productive members of our community.
Job Summary: The role of the Assistive Technology Instructor is to identify and effectively provide appropriate AT tools and necessary training to make tasks accessible for Blind and Low Vision individuals. The Assistive Technology Instructor opens up opportunities by testing and configuring adaptive software for compatibility and by working with the client to develop skills, accessible processes and work environments.
The Assistive Technology Instructor provides effective training of adaptive technologies for efficient access of print and computer data and work tasks.
- Provide instruction relevant to the needs of each individual client. Instruct clients in the use of an array of adaptive tools and techniques that allow for optimal access to print media, computer data, software, etc.
- Conduct functional assessments to identify goals, technical skills and appropriate adaptive software needs
- Develop Individualized Training Plans for assigned clients
- Provide center-based, community-based and virtual itinerant instructional services appropriate to the assessed needs and goals of the client
- Review assessment recommendations with client
Planning and Service Development
- Evaluate new and emerging technologies to determine accessibility and compatibility with current hardware and software platforms providing technical training.
- Participate in the development, implement and review of curriculum to meet training demands as appropriate.
- Participate in the development, implementation, presentation, evaluation and refinement of the R360 model
- Actively support Lighthouse Central Florida’s mission, vision, and core values in daily interactions with clients, staff, and all external and internal constituencies
- Actively participate in agency and team meetings to ensure effective communication, service quality and team work
- Comply with agency policies and procedures including completion of required documentation and reports (timesheets, certificates of absence, etc.)
- Identify and actively support appropriate involvement of volunteers in program functions to extend and enhance team effectiveness and efficiency. Serve as the primary staff contact for volunteers who are assisting with aspects of assigned work
Case Management and Reporting:
- Efficiently navigate the agency’s database software to maintain complete, accurate and timely documentation and reports as assigned, to meet agency and contractual requirements.
- Maintain the confidentiality of program participants in accordance with State and Federal regulations
- Communicate upon as needed with Division of Blind Services (DBS) counselor(s), Lighthouse Case Managers and other staff to expedite each client's movement through service delivery.
- Support and assist in collaborative activities with community partners as assigned.
- Participate in community education and public awareness activities to develop collaboration with other agencies, municipalities, civic organizations, and schools to ensure that vision rehabilitation services are recognized as an important resource to the community and known to individuals who can benefit from services.
- Develop and implement educational programs/activities to inform employers, educators, parents, elected officials and/or the community at large about the scope, variety and effectiveness of AT to achieve inclusion and self-actualization
- Participate in available continuing education and staff development opportunities.
- Participate in general agency development activities and events as appropriate and necessary.
- Participate in agency and department meetings to ensure communication and team work
- Participate as a member of the Rehabilitation Services team and support all aspects of Lighthouse Central Florida’s Services
- Perform other duties as required