The Health Educator promotes, maintains, and improves individual and community health by assisting individuals and communities to adopt healthy behaviors.
- Maintains a close relationship with FHLC care team, including medical, behavior health, and dental service lines in order to meet the needs of patients and families. Collaborates with clinicians, and acts under their supervision, in developing and delivering health information and education modules specific to both chronic and acute problems of patients presenting at the center.
- Conducts patient assessments including assessing barriers to health outcomes such as Social Determinants of Health and provide health information and treatment options with consideration to patient’s language, literacy, and cultural preferences, documenting patient education activities in the electronic health record.
- Teaches patients about behaviors modifications, such as lifestyle changes, that can improve their health outcomes.
- Explores patient treatment plans based on factors like a person's budget, schedule and health goals and communicate with patient’s healthcare team.
- Prepares and distributes health education materials, including reports, bulletins, and visual aids such as films, videotapes, photographs, and posters.
- Develops and maintains health education libraries to provide resources for employees, patients, and community partners.
- Facilitates group learning activities in-person or utilizing telehealth platforms focused on improving chronic health conditions.
- Participates in training to better patient care such as learning evidence-based approaches to self-management support, proactively addressing the needs of patients and families in this community, cultural competency, OSHA, HIPAA and EHR, office standing orders, patient population management, computer literacy and skills, communication skills, etc.
- Analyzes data to identify Family Health La Clinica (FHLC) population needs for the purposes of planning, implementing, monitoring, and evaluating programming designed to encourage healthy lifestyles, policies, and environments.