The responsibility of Lab Assistant I is to provide general assistance to technologists/technicians and pathologists to ensure smooth work flow for the entire department. Responsibilities may include obtaining information from various departments, processing and/or accessioning different types of specimens and providing administrative and organizational support to the department. Due to various environmental hazards presented in the workplace such as formalin, communicable disease, fresh human tissue, etc., employees must adhere to HIPAA standards and strict Standard Operating Procedures and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) requirements.
A Lab Assistant I may perform any of the following duties or groups of duties:
- Order, process and stain gynecological specimens
- Order, process, stain and provide a gross description for a limited number of non-gynecological specimens
- Manifest and distribute slides and specimens appropriately to cytotechnologists & pathologists
- Maintain, troubleshoot and keep QA logs of processing equipment
- Aliquot specimens for ancillary testing
- Other duties as assigned