Under the general supervision of the Assistant Branch Manager-Youth Services Supervisor, the Library Associate II provides high quality information, reader, and technology services to children (age’s birth-11), families, and caregivers at the North East branch of the Cecil County Public Library while consistently delivering caring, non-judgmental customer service. This position plans and delivers a full range of diverse and innovative programs, services, and outreach initiatives to meet the needs of children (birth-11), families, and caregivers. Develops and implements programmatic goals for specialized learning areas including Our Town Early Literacy Center and IDEA Lab.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provides information services, including readers advisory, homework help, reference, and technology assistance to children, families and caregivers in person, via phone, email, online, etc.
- Works collaboratively with system-wide Children’s Services team and external presenters to plan and implement library programs that are responsive to the needs of children, families, and caregivers in the North East community.
- Works with Assistant Branch Manager-Youth Services Supervisor to develop and implement outreach and collaborative programming to local school system and community based organizations
- Actively markets library services and programs to children and their parents/caregiver. Merchandises collections. Recommends and reviews books and other library materials through various media outlets, including the CCPL website.
- Works with Assistant Branch Manager-Youth Services Supervisor to develop and implement department or branch goals within overall system goals.
- Serves as liaison to the local elementary schools and community organizations serving children and their parents/caregivers.
- Monitors and maintains the local juvenile collection and makes recommendations for materials to be purchased.
- Utilizes the library’s circulation database to search for and place holds on materials requested by patrons.
- Represents branch library on system-wide children’s services team.
- May serve on system-wide committees.
- Monitors and maintains library computers and software, troubleshoots and calls for assistance as needed.
- Maintains facility and reports problems to appropriate staff.
- Maintains accurate service statistics.
- Shelves library materials of all types.
- Performs ongoing assignments of moderate to high difficulty.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Promotes and maintains a high standard of customer service, both internal and external.
- Demonstrates ability to work with a diverse community.
- Models positive attitude toward library technology and change.
- Maintains courteous, friendly, and constructive relationships with patrons and staff.
- Promotes and advocates a positive library image in the community.
- Maintains professional growth and awareness through training, self-directed learning and other means to stay abreast of current and emerging trends in the community and in libraries.
- Performs job in keeping with the adopted policies, procedures, and values of the Cecil County Public Library.