The Jacksonville Aviation Authority (JAA) welcomes applications for the Director of Accounting position through midnight on Wednesday, December 15, 2021.
***In order to be considered, please be sure to Sign In and complete all questions in the employment application.***
***The posted salary shows the minimum through the midpoint of the salary range.***
This is professional level work in providing leadership, management, coordination and implementationfor accounting, budgetary, auditing and administrative functions of the Jacksonville Aviation Authority (JAA). With the benefit of hands-on oversight of all department functions, the Director of Accounting provides leadership support to the Chief Financial Officer by establishing financial policies, procedures, controls and reporting systems that ensure legal/regulatory compliance for the overall accounting and financial reporting functions. Work requires seasoned understanding and application of accounting and financial management theories, principles and practices gained through a combination of education, training and substantial on-the-job experience. Work is performed in an office environment. Operates a computer using word processing, spreadsheet, database and various accounting software. The work is performed under executive direction and is performed following clearly defined management principles, subject to operating plans, objectives, functional policies and precedents. The work requires frequent use of judgement in search of appropriate solutions to any challenges facing the Finance department. Work is reviewed in terms of feasibility, compatibility with other work projects and effectiveness in meeting requirements, company objectives or expected results.
- Directs and is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the finance department.
- Oversees and actively participates in the general accounting, accounts receivable/collection, accounts payable, fixed assets, projects and grants and payroll functions of the finance department.
- Prepares and forecasts annual budget by leading and coordinating finance staff in establishment of base budget for each department and being the liaison with department managers regarding their respective budgets.
- Champions the continuous development of budgeting, forecasting, business planning and financial analysis processes and tools.
- Develops and facilitates JAA’s annual operating plan and budgeting process.
- Manages budget and controls expenses effectively.
- Prepares JAA’s annual comprehensive financial report.
- Oversees and manages all financial and regulatory reporting requirements on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis.
- Educates department managers about the relationship between key business drivers and financial results.
- Provides management with recommendations that are based on sound financial analysis.
- Guides financial decisions of JAA by establishing, monitoring and enforcing critical departmental policies and procedures.
- Protects JAA assets by establishing, monitoring and enforcing internal controls.
- Provides up-to-date status regarding JAA’s financial condition by collecting, interpreting and reporting key financial data.
- Coordinates audits as required and appropriate.
- Ensures compliance with internal control policies, governance guidelines, legal/regulatory requirements and professional business ethics to maintain confidence in JAA’s financial information, and advise management of potential risks as appropriate.
- Coaches and trains finance department personnel on financial analysis and reporting to promote accurate and appropriate use of financial data.
- Evaluates, selects, manages, develops and motivates department personnel in accordance with JAA policies and procedures.
- Performs duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Proven business acumen with extensive knowledge and experience with budgeting, forecasting, financial analysis, management, reporting and performance measurement, preferably within the aviation industry or a similar industry.
- Knowledge of laws, rules and policies governing payroll, leave, fiscal and accounting books, records and accounts.
- Thorough knowledge of financial statements.
- Knowledge of management methods, techniques and practices.
- Skill in making and verifying mathematical calculations, with keen attention to detail.
- Hands-on experience and skill with the software applications that support corporate finance and accounting functions, such as Microsoft Excel, Propworks, Oracle etc.
- Ability to remain current on information and technology that affects the functional areas within the finance department.
- Ability to think analytically and strategically; always considering the big picture while never losing sight of the details.
- Ability to read, comprehend, interpret and apply job related laws, rules, policies and procedures.
- Ability to apply accounting and auditing knowledge to work assignments.
- Ability to build and maintain strategic partnerships within the organization and beyond.
- Ability to communicate candidly and effectively with both subordinates and management.
- Ability to coach, develop, motivate and manage the performance of finance personnel.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of JAA documents and records.