The Jacksonville Aviation Authority (JAA) welcomes applications for the role of Accountant through midnight on Wednesday, January 19, 2022.
***Please be sure to sign in to complete all employment application questions, and sign your application. Do not simply attach your resume.
The staff accountant role is a professional level accounting position tasked with maintaining accounting and finance records. The position requires the understanding and application of theories, principles and practices of accounting and financial management. These abilities may be gained through a combination of education, training and experience. Position communications require courtesy, tact and effectiveness in dealing with others, and include contacts with those requesting information or seeking clarification. Daily responsibilities include transactional recording of accounts receivable, accounts payable and the general ledger. The majority of the work is standardized, and tasks are governed by departmental and generally accepted accounting procedures, however, the staff accountant has the latitude to consider which of the many procedures or standards should be followed and in what sequence. This requires the use of professional judgment in the search for and application of solutions to accounting and procedural questions. Work is performed in an office environment. The position will operate a computer using word processing, spreadsheets, databases and various accounting software. Further responsibilities include to plan, organize and prioritize all work tasks. Work product will be reviewed in terms of quality, volume, timeliness and for adherence to established methods, standards and policies.
- Verifies, inputs and retrieves financial data transactions from financial systems.
- Reconciles assigned general ledger accounts.
- Prepares journal entries.
- Generates accounts receivable invoices.
- Assists with contacting customers for payments and resolves discrepancies.
- Keys accounts payables invoices and reviews invoice registers.
- Performs bank statement reconciliations.
- Applies payments to customers’ accounts.
- Responds to inquiries from other JAA departments.
- Prepares and enters budget transfers.
- Reviews charge backs of credit cards.
- Responsible for cash management.
- Performs other duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong attention to detail.
- Knowledge of accounting principles and procedures.
- Knowledge of principles involved in billing and the maintenance of collection records.
- Knowledge of MS Office and accounting software.
- Knowledge of automated accounting procedures.
- Skill in making and verifying mathematical calculations.
- Skill in maintaining accounting and fiscal records.
- Ability to analyze semi-complex accounting records.
- Ability to multi-task as necessary to meet deadlines.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work well with others within the team and across departments.
- Ability to consistently apply internal controls and policies.
- Ability to develop spreadsheets, graphs, summaries and reports.
- Ability to organize, set priorities and exercise sound judgment.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of JAA documents and records.