The Director of Human Resources (DHR) develops, implements and monitors goals and strategic objectives related to employment, employee relations, compensation, benefits, corporate events, training, organizational development, safety and compliance with HR policies as well as participates in the success of overall organizational goals. This position has access to highly sensitive and confidential information; therefore, the personal and professional integrity of the person in this position must be exemplary.
- Establishes and implements HR efforts and business solutions that effectively communicate and support the organization’s strategic vision and functions as a business partner to the senior management team regarding key organizational and management issues.
- Maintains and expands knowledge of existing and proposed federal and state laws/regulations affecting human resources, sets policy, writes SOP’s and advises management as needed. Identifies trends that could impact organizational objectives and/or operational resources and advises management and employees accordingly. Maintains Employee Policies/Handbook to ensure compliance.
- Develops and schedules Employee Engagement Survey to provide data for reporting to Senior Staff and the Governing Board.
- Collaborates with and is a resource to team members (i.e., peers, staff, senior managers) to ensure the expected culture of a team approach for organizational success.
- Provides training on new HR protocols and practices as well as annual mandatory training topics.
- In conjunction with the Human Resources department, develops overall recruiting and retention plans to meet the human resource needs; this includes; career development, succession planning, retention, training and leadership development.
- Responsible for managing the document retention process for all employment documents/files using established retention guidelines with applicable legal requirements including personnel files, I-9 documents, interviewing criteria, and internal job postings.
- Develops and implements comprehensive compensation and benefit plans that are competitive and cost effective for the organization. Provides data to outside organizations for salary and benefit surveys.
- Develops implements and maintains an on-going employee recognition program and monitors Bonus Programs for payroll purposes.
- Guides and directs the Human Resources department in the areas of Safety, Security and Occupational Health to ensure compliance with the regulations for safety with regard to state and federal laws and audit standards.
- Works in conjunction with the Human Resources department to develop programs that will encourage employee health, safety and self-care.
- Oversees strategic employee relations decisions including difficult terminations, disciplinary actions and works with senior management as well as attorneys when appropriate. As directed, participates in the investigation and resolution of ongoing employee relations problems and/or Corporate Compliance Issues.
- Develops severance packages or exit agreements and conducts exit interviews to develop trends for management reporting.
- Serves as an administrator for the 403b plan providing assistance and information for compliance testing, communication and other plan requirements.
- Manages the annual renewal process with the health insurance broker for receiving bids making selections for the insurance plans and planning the open enrollment process.
Supervision: This position directly supervises the Human Resources department staff. This position provides guidance to others, including other managers, directors and senior executives.