Department: Facilities Field Maintenance
Reports to: Fleet Manager
The Jacksonville Aviation Authority (JAA) welcomes Internal and External applications for the role of Facilities Garage Mechanic I through midnight Thursday, January 20, 2022.
*Internal Candidates please refer to the CBA Contract for Salary Rate for Garage Mechanic I position*.
This is semi-skilled entry level craft supporting all fleet, landscape, and equipment to ensure equipment is fully operational and properly maintained. The Garage Mechanic I is responsible for providing support to other mechanics along with conducting preventive maintenance services for all JAA vehicles and equipment. This position is responsible for properly and accurately identifying problems and recommending solutions or fixing all fleet equipment. The work requires knowledge of equipment repair shop methods, and procedures used in repair and maintenance of vehicles and fleet equipment. This position involves the use of specialized equipment and skills and is learned on the job or through specialized training. The work is semi-routine in that tasks are covered by somewhat diversified procedures and precedents, but some latitude is permitted to consider the most appropriate method, technique, or procedure to follow. The work involves differing situations requiring use of good sound judgment in searching for solutions or new applications. The work is performed indoors and outdoors in various temperatures and weather conditions. This job requires the ability to use a computer and work order system. The job requires the use of hand tools associated with the repair and maintenance of Fleet equipment.
- Service and/or repair both diesel and gas engines, ranging from heavy equipment to lawn maintenance units.
- Ability to use work order system to include creating work orders, identifying and ordering parts, and closing out work orders, documenting repairs and expended maintenance hours.
- Inspects equipment, structures or materials and able to perform symptom recognition, identify the root cause of error, problem, or the extent of the damage or malfunction.
- Troubleshoots electrical, electronic, mechanical, and hydraulic systems.
- Services emergency field generators
- Performs preventative maintenance and repairs on all fleet equipment.
- Performs other job duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Must be knowledgeable of FAA, TSA, and FDOT regulations
- Working knowledge and utilization of tools and equipment
- Ability to utilize computers or other scanner/ tools to perform onboard diagnostics to include computerized alignment machine, and fuel system computers
- Thorough understanding of modern shop operations
- Ability to operate communication devices (two-way radio) and to clearly communicate with the Air Traffic Controllers and other JAA employees
- Must possess a positive attitude, be focused on customer service, and be able to work well with others in a team environment.
- Must be available for 24-hour on-call schedule and will be required to respond under emergency situations
- Make sound decisions by analyzing information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems.