Job Title: Laboratory Technician
Reports to: Laboratory Supervisor
- BA/BS in Chemistry, Biology, or related field; or related experience.
- Excellent mathematical, communication and computer skills, be strongly detail oriented and be able to easily multi-task.
- Should be able to independently initiate, prioritize, and perform or solve work problems and ultimately achieve work objectives and meet deadlines.
- Must be able to effectively communicate in written and verbal form with co-workers, supervisor and management.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook etc.).
- Must be able to work independently and as a team member.
- Follow written (Standard Operating Procedures -SOP’s, company memos & emails) and verbal Instructions.
- Familiarity with plant and lab equipment operation and SOPs.
- Possess a strong work ethic to positively contribute to the company’s mission, vision, values and environmental policy and quality policy.
- Must have a positive attitude, support co-workers to obtain desired objectives, and assist others in their contributions.
- Ability to adapt to changing paces and processes quickly.
- Must be able to learn ERP systems to perform data entry & print reports.
- Ability to wear appropriate personal protective equipment (in required areas) for extended periods of time.
- Handle hazardous chemicals safely according to their SDS’s and SOP’s.
- Attentive to the task and own surroundings.
The purpose of this position is to analyze the samples presented in the lab by the company or customers.
- Analyze incoming samples as per protocol and SOPs.
- Sample preparation of leaf hops, cryo products, pellets, extract and advanced products
- Analysis of samples by UV, HPLC, titration, FTIR
- Steam distillation to determine oil content
- Moisture analysis by air oven or distillation
- Gas Chromatography analysis of hop oils.
- Sample preparation and analysis on finished beers
- Operate the following equipment:
- Gas Chromatograph with FID – Agilent Technologies
- HPLC - Agilent Technologies
- UV Spectrometer – Shimadzu
- Titrator – Mettler Toledo
- FTIR – Perkin Elmer
- Digital Density Meter – Anton Paar
- pH Meter
- Laboratory team member
- Assist in maintaining cleanliness and appearance of lab
- Follow safety requirements
- Enter data in Excel, ERP and other software and communicate results.
- Communicate both verbally and in writing effectively with customers and other YCH teams to share results and present ideas.
- Assist in maintaining all analysis equipment to ensure accuracy and dependability
- Assist in the investigation and resolution of quality issues.
- Assist supervisor with tracking lab supplies
- Maintain retain samples.
- Remain up-to-date with current and future technology that applies to the lab.
- Perform other duties within the company as required.
- Continuously look for ways to improve process efficiency and notify immediate supervisor of observations and recommendations.
- Handle food products safely.
- Maintain sanitary and safe work environment and follow safety requirements.
- May actively participate on company’s Safety Committee.
- Ensure that company safety policies as well as federal, state and local safety and environmental regulations are observed.
- Must have a complete understanding of company’s policies, SOPs, QPs, EPs, HACCP and cGMP that pertain to their department to ensure quality, safety, efficiency and sustainability.
- Must adhere to all company policies.
- Examine documents, materials, and products and monitor work processes to assess completeness, accuracy and conformance to standards and specifications.
- Follow all SOPs in a given area.
- Perform all other duties as assigned by Manager and/or designee.