SUMMARY: The Cook is responsible for assisting in preparing, and cooking daily meals for dementia residents within assisted living community, while meeting federal and state health department standards by performing the following duties.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- High School Diploma or equivalent and 0 to six months related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Valid Food Handler’s Permit or ability to obtain certification within 30 days of hire.
- Available to work weekend coverage and available on-call as needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist cooks in the preparation of basic food items.
- Stock, distribute and store supplies; wash and clean pots, dishes and utensils by hand or using dish washing equipment.
- Empty trash containers as required.
- Engages residents in meaningful conversation and activities related to their individual interests.
- Confers with residents’ medical team, dietary card, and nursing staff to ensure that meals conform to residents’ diet restrictions and nutritional requirements as prescribed by physician.
- Adheres to all food sanitation and infection control procedures of proper food storage, handling, preparation, and service; equipment and department sanitation; and dietary regulatory guidelines for Alzheimer’s assisted living communities, as required by federal and state health department standards and codes.
- Serves as backup, performing Cook duties and responsibilities in absence of the Lead Cook.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ethics – Works with integrity; Upholds organizational values.
- Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; results oriented and committed to achieving objectives and tasks as required.
- Teamwork and Collaboration – Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit. Communicates effectively.
- Cost Consciousness – Works within approved budget; Develops and implements cost saving measures; Contributes to profits and revenue; Conserves organizational resources.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Works well in group problem solving situations.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Required to stand and walk regularly; occasionally sit; lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. ,