We are looking for a Ruby on Rails developer responsible for managing the interchange of data between the server and the users. Your primary focus will be development of all server-side logic, definition and maintenance of the central database, and ensuring high performance and responsiveness to requests from the front-end. This role will be working with a broader team that is focused on partnerships and clinical staff experience within the broader Caris Life Sciences Software Portfolio.
Caris Life Sciences is a precision medicine lab company. In a nutshell, we conduct inhouse lab testing on tissue samples, primarily cancer biopsies, to provide Oncologists better intel on how to improve their patient’s outcomes.
The majority of the Strategic Ops team is based out of our Headquarters in Irving, Texas, but you will be interacting with other team members in Eastern and Mountain time zones. Caris has a large presence in Phoenix, Arizona.
- SSO / Open ID Connect Integration
- Collaborating with backend developers in other parts of the org to design and build out API integrations with their systems.
- Re-platforming low-code projects
We understand most web developers do not have a deep background in biology. If you have a biology or healthcare background, that’s great. The most important thing is that you have an eagerness to learn and collaborate. We have a seasoned staff of healthcare experts including PHD’s as well as customers that are eager to teach & give feedback where there might be gaps in your understanding.
- Design, build, and maintain efficient, reusable, and reliable Ruby code
- Integration of data storage solutions may include databases, key-value stores, blob stores, etc
- Integration of user-facing elements developed by front-end developers with server side logic
- Identify bottlenecks and bugs, and devise solutions to these problems
- Help maintain code quality, organization and automatization
- Writing reusable, testable, and efficient code
- Help maintain code quality, organization, automatization & documentation
- Design and implementation of low-latency, high-availability, and performant applications
- Implementation of security and data protection
- Integration of data storage solutions such as relational databases & other API’s.
- Collaborate with infrastructure and data teams in other parts of the organization to securely access and expose data via API’s for consumption by our UI offerings.
- Experience with Ruby on Rails, along with other common libraries such as RSpec and Resque
- Good understanding of the syntax of Ruby and its nuances
- Solid understanding of object-oriented programming
- Good understanding of server-side templating languages Slim & erb
- Good understanding of server-side CSS preprocessors such as Sass
- Familiarity with concepts of MVC, Mocking, ORM, and RESTful
- A knack for writing clean, readable Ruby code
- Ability to integrate multiple data sources and databases into one system
- Understanding of fundamental design principles behind a scalable application
- Able to create database schemas that represent and support business processes
- Able to implement automated testing platforms and unit tests
- Familiarity with development aiding tools Bundler, Rake, etc
- Familiarity with continuous integration
- Implementing automated testing platforms and unit tests
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools, particularly Git & collaborative code review practices.
- Conditions of Employment: Individual must successfully complete pre-employment process, which includes criminal background check, drug screening and reference verification. Also, individual must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by the date of hire to be considered for U.S.-based jobs, if not currently employed by Caris Life Sciences.
- Distributed collaboration with team members – We primarily reside in Eastern, Central & Mountain time zones
- Familiarity with continuous integration & deployment tooling
- Accessibility and security compliance
- Our projects leverage SSO via Open ID Connect and containerization where appropriate.
- Experience in these tangential technologies are a bonus.
Core Skills & Competencies:
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written); ability to effectively communicate at various levels within an organization
- Ability to articulate highly technical content in a clear, concise, professional and pleasant manner.
- Ability to think quickly and critically, exercises sound judgement at all times.
- Ability to work independently; excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Able to meet tight timelines while balancing multiple projects simultaneously in a fast paced and fluid work environment.
- Must possess ability to sit, stand, and/or work at a computer for long periods of time.
This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Caris Life Sciences is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
*Interested parties please email your resume and cover letter to Valarie Perez at firstname.lastname@example.org. #LI-VP1