As the largest and oldest mentoring agency in the region, Big Brothers Big Sisters Twin Cities (BBBS) has a strong foundation that makes it possible for us to get kids on the path to success. We work hard to build and sustain relationships with individuals in our community to mentor children and youth to become their true selves. We have been matching the Twin Cities kids with mentors since 1920. We serve over 2,000 young people every year with a staff of 60.
Our mission is to create and support mentoring relationships that ignite the power and promise of youth. BBBS accomplishes its mission by:
- Providing deep and intentional partnerships with our youth
- Building and sustaining deep relationships with our Mentors
- Building a strong organizational foundation
- Creating a workplace culture that represents who we serve
- Transforming our community to understand the importance of our youth
BBBS’s vision is that all children achieve their full potential.
Primary Function of the Position
The Manager of Match Engagement supervises a team of match engagement staff who work with assigned community-based 1-to-1 matches who are typically between 8 and 12 years of age. This position is responsible for leading, motivating, coaching, and managing the team to drive positive youth outcomes, process improvement, and achieve match engagement and related performance metrics.
The match engagement function is a critical role within BBBS’ mentoring program. It provides high quality case management support for match participants (including the volunteer mentors, youth mentees, and the youth’s parents/guardians) to promote the healthy development of the match relationship, support match longevity, ensure child safety, and support positive youth development. Additionally, the match engagement role seeks to create stronger affiliation between matches and the agency, through participating in match activities and agency events, volunteer training, and connecting to other community resources and opportunities.
The nature of this work requires availability in the evenings and weekends.
1. Develop and lead the Match Engagement team to ensure all departmental and agency-wide goals are met
- Ensure staff is trained in the best practices of quality customer service, match engagement, child safety, database documentation and agency programmatic practices in fulfillment of national BBBS standards.
- Set individual and team goals, establish and clearly communicate performance expectations and carry out effective performance management for direct supervisees.
- Provide effective guidance, coaching, and support to supervisees to ensure proper progress toward and achievement of established goals.
- Promote a collaborative work environment within the team to foster efficiency and professionalism.
- Regularly review match engagement procedures to develop best practices for increased quality of support.
- Screen, select and onboard qualified applicants for job vacancies, ensuring the right mix of skills and experiences needed for the team.
2. Structure all aspects of match engagement to ensure high quality of customer service and positive outcomes for youth
- Assign new matches to support staff based on key factors, including caseload size and capacity, staff expertise and needs of the matches.
- Transfer and adjust caseloads, as necessary.
- Manage the match assignment and transfer process between the Match Engagement and Teen Match Engagement teams.
- Manage specific program grants, and carry out required duties including organizing/leading special match activities, developing partnerships, administering special grant-related data projects and reporting.
- Assist with the design, administration and assessment of department activities and programming.
- Provide coaching and consulting to agency staff and leadership as needed on issues related to issues, practices and polices related to match engagement/match support.
3. Maintain a positive image of BBBS in the community and promote agency as the mentoring program of choice.
- Maintain knowledge of community resources to make appropriate referrals to participants, as needed.
- Recruit volunteers and youth, as needed, to meet agency’s match goals.
- Assist in establishing relationships in the community to provide high quality services to our families and volunteers.
4. Contribute to the overall success of the agency in order to achieve the BBBS Twin Cities mission.
- Collaborate with the Director of Enrollment and Match Engagement to provide strategic planning and execute growth of the programs; while maintaining a high level of quality.
- Participate in the development and implementation of the annual business plan.
- Promote teamwork by participating in various teams including work groups and interdepartmental meetings.
- Represent BBBS in the larger community.
- Support development in fundraising efforts.
- Other duties as assigned.
Other Job Duties
- Work as part of the Program Management Team to foster top quality experiences for current and future supporters, donors, volunteers, children and families.
- Assist with staff development, training and recognition program.
- Develop and maintain a diverse work force. Manage in ways that maximize the potential of all workers by assuring sensitive and respectful treatment by and toward all employees.
- Contribute to the overall success of the organization by working together to achieve the mission. Develop and maintain sensitivity to employee diversity, and demonstrate cultural competence in the workplace and in the services provided by the agency. Demonstrate respectful treatment of other employees, program participants and all stakeholders. Build community support for the organization by helping to recruit volunteers and to raise money.