The Database Administrator is responsible for supporting and improving the effectiveness of all databases at Caris. Responsibilities include reviewing, evaluating, designing, implementing and maintaining databases. This position requires the understanding of database usage and the best way to optimize and support the databases.
- Provides technical leadership and serves as a source of documentation and standards to help direct the activities of the assigned applications development and support group.
- Interacts with all levels of users and management to ascertain business application development information needs and coordinates and communicates solutions.
- Establishes operational objectives and assignments
- Coordinates the activities of a section or department with responsibility for results.
- May be responsible for the technical direction, leadership, and training of less experienced staff.
- Regularly interacts with management on matters concerning several functional areas, divisions, and/or customers.
- Assists programmers on database related projects.
- Demonstrates strong understanding of database structure and concepts.
- Performs data analysis to determine the database needs of the organization, converting logical design into a physical database.
- Maintains and administers current and future databases.
- Oversees changes to computer databases, tests and implements the database applying knowledge of database management systems.
- Maintains responsibility for planning, coordinating, and implementing security measures to safeguard computer databases including, but not limited to logging and back-up.
- Implements data models and database designs, data access and table maintenance codes; resolves database performance issues, database capacity issues, replication, and other distributed data issues.
- Guides the day-to-day support activities for applications; provides technical recommendation.
- Assists as needed to perform other related duties and special projects as required.
- Accepts other duties as assigned.
- 3 to 5 years of experience as a database administrator; some experience in application programming in similar coding language as required for specific job function.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field required.
- Ability to optimize databases including MSSQL Server, MySQL, Postgres and derivatives, Oracle or similar.
- Strong working knowledge of cloud technologies and best practices in AWS, Azure, or google platforms
- Experience with scripting and automation concepts
- Ability to design database structures based on application requirements.
- Candidates must have a strong background, advanced knowledge and working experience in IT technologies, security architecture and system life-cycle phases are recommended.
- Familiarity and past work experience with Unix/Linux commands and HL7 and XML formats.
- Conditions of Employment: Individual must successfully complete pre-employment process, which includes criminal background check, drug screening and reference verification. Also, individual must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by the date of hire to be considered for U.S.-based jobs, if not currently employed by Caris Life Sciences.
- Java or Microsoft Certifications preferred.
Core Skills & Competencies:
- Strong teaming/interpersonal, communication, and customer service skills are required.
- Drive for Results (Service, Quality, and Continuous Improvement) – Ensure procedures and processes are in place that lead to delivery of quality results and continually reassess their effectiveness to achieve continuous improvement.
- Communication – Proficient verbal and written communication skills. Willingness to share and receive information and ideas from all levels of the organization in order to achieve the desired results.
- Teamwork – Commitment to the successful achievement of team and organizational goals through a desire to participate with and help other members of the team.
- Customer Service Focus – Demonstrate a focus on listening to and understanding client/customer needs and then delighting the client/customer by exceeding service and quality expectations.
- Willingness to work overtime is required.
- Travel Required occasionally
- Weekends, evening and holiday based on business needs
- Ideally, based in Phoenix, AZ but willing to consider telecommuting for the right candidate.
- Majority of work is performed in a desk/cubicle environment.
- Must possess ability to sit and/or stand for long periods of time.
- Must possess ability to perform repetitive motion.
This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Caris Life Sciences is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age (40 or older), disability or genetic information, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
*Interested parties please email your resume and cover letter to Valarie Perez at firstname.lastname@example.org. #LI-VP1