- Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted until December 1st or until positions are filled.
- Position: School Year Instructor
- Start Date: First week of January 2023
- Job Location: AstroCamp, CA - Idyllwild, CA
- Position Type: Full Time
Teach at AstroCamp! We are currently hiring full-time Instructors for the School Year Program. The position starts the first week of January. AstroCamp is a unique non-profit education center that specializes in astronomy and physical sciences. Located on a forested campus near the town of Idyllwild at an elevation of 5,600 feet amidst the beautiful San Jacinto Mountains of Southern California. Over 18,000 students from 8-17 years old attend AstroCamp each year. With excellent teaching facilities, we bring science to life through hands-on, experiential classes and activities. Our labs and facilities include a heated pool; extensive ropes course and rock wall, innovative classrooms, and two state-of-the-art telescope viewing areas with CCD capabilities. Instructors have small group sizes and remain with the same group of students throughout their 3 or 5-day program. AstroCamp provides incredible experiences for kids and instructors alike. Check us out at www.astrocampschool.org or visit www.guideddiscoveries.org.
School Year Instructor Qualifications: BS/BA, preferably Physics, Astronomy or STEM fields but all degrees are welcome to apply. Our extensive training will provide all the knowledge needed. Requires a passion for learning and working with children. Must be a positive, energetic, and organized team member who is eager to learn new content. Previous teaching experience is a plus. CPR, First Aid Certification required, and lifeguard certification is required within 6 months of being hired. Desire to work and live in a close-knit community is important.
School Year Instructor Salary and Benefits: Starting at $19.50/hour. Travel and Move In Stipend, Room, Board, Health Insurance, as well as Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance are provided. Staff lives on-site in furnished apartments. AstroCamp is located on a 90-acre campus adjacent to a national forest with easy access to clear skies, world-class rock climbing, outstanding hiking, and great mountain biking.
School Year Instructor Position Summary:
Instructors are responsible for bringing physical sciences and astronomy concepts to life through hands-on, experiential education classes and activities for students who attend 3 or 5-day programs. The position also provides quality instruction and leadership to all outdoor programs.
School Year Instructor Essential Job Duties:
- Safely and professionally implement program curriculum
- Proficient in academic knowledge of classes to be taught
- Present quality programs to school groups as assigned
- Aid in maintaining classrooms and facilities in good working order
- Communicate effectively and work well with guests and other staff
- Communicate any problems with staff or students to Program Director
- Work effectively as part of a team or on solo projects as required
- Attend and contribute to all leadership and instructional sessions for staff
- Enforce safety regulations and emergency procedures
- Understand Guided Discoveries Safety Program and its responsibilities
- Lift, carry, and move heavy objects when necessary
- Drive company vehicles if necessary
School Year Instructor Benefits:
- Travel Stipend – Varies with new employee’s current location
- Move In Stipend – Employee must stay with Guided Discoveries for 9 months
- Housing on campus
- Full meals provided
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Life insurance provided the 1st of the month after working 30 days of full-time employment
- 403b Retirement Plan
- Workers Compensation Insurance and State Disability Insurance
- Guest visitation privileges with prior permission
- Opportunity to live and work in a beautiful mountain environment
Special Skills & Abilities/Mental and Physical Demands:
The employee member is subject to environmental conditions found working indoors/outdoors. The employee member is frequently subject to extreme heat and cold. The employee member is frequently subject to loud noise when working in or around the camp. The employee member is occasionally subject to atmospheric condition such as odors, or dust.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
I hereby acknowledge that I have read and understood the content of this job description. I understand the Company at its discretion may revise the job description from time to time in the future. I understand and agree that nothing in this job description should be construed as a contract of employment and that employment with this Company is at will meaning that the terms of employment may be changed with or without notice, with or without cause, including, but not limited to termination, demotion, promotion, transfer, compensation, benefits, duties, and location of work.
Note: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Staff may perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the organization. Management reserves the right to add, modify, change, or rescind work assignments and to make reasonable accommodations as needed.