LJA Mission Statement:
The mission of Lake Junaluska is to be a place of Christian hospitality where lives are transformed through renewal of soul, mind and body.
Located in the Smoky Mountains of Western North Carolina, Lake Junaluska is a conference and retreat center that hosts over 50,000 overnight guests annually. We have over 400 lodging rooms, a campground, and meeting space for up to 2,000 people. All of our facilities are located on a scenic 1,200 acre campus which boasts panoramic views, abundant recreation opportunities, and a 200 acre lake. Our market ranges from youth groups to affluent leisure guests primarily from the Southeastern US.
- Must possess excellent hospitality skills and a strong desire to foster an attitude of Christian hospitality to “exceed guest expectations”.
- Know and comply with standard cooking methods, quality standards, and kitchen practices.
- Cook a variety of meats, seafood, poultry, vegetables and other food items using broilers, ovens, grill, fryers, and a variety of other kitchen equipment.
- Prep items for daily menu service for Terrace Bistro and for other special events and dining room meals.
- Assists or responsible for the preparation of meals for on-site special events and/or off-site catering.
- Portion all products, follow the recipes, and always ensure the plate presentation meets food quality standards including consistency and plate presentations.
- Responsible for keeping work area clean. Following all sanitation standards, ensuring work areas remain organized and clean, while following all safe food handling standards.
- In a fast paced environment, must be able to cook the exact number of items ordered by each guest timely, while working on several different orders simultaneously.
- Verify that the prepared food meets the requirements for quality and quantity.
- Must maintain a positive, pleasant attitude at all times.
- Able to accept direction and training from senior staff members, and management.
- Must perform calmly and effectively in an extremely busy and stressful work environment.
- Must be able to work effectively and be a positive contributor to the team.
- Be flexible to fill in where needed to ensure guest service standards and efficient operations are met.
- Ensure that all equipment is kept clean during and at the end of each shift, reporting maintenance issues promptly to the supervisor.
- Safely operates all equipment necessary for food preparation including convection ovens, stoves, meat slicers, chopper, knives, steamers, steam kettles and skillets.
- Keep all equipment, storage areas, and work areas clean and maintained to the standards set by the North Carolina Department of Health.
- Be ServSafe certified or willing and able to become certified within 30 days of hire.
- Wear and maintain clean Lake Junaluska staff uniform, to include, name tag, hair net and face coverings.
- Comply with all standard safety policies as well as Covid-19 related safety procedures, and report any unsafe activities or conditions immediately to supervisor or the Human Resources department.
- Must comply with all LJA Human Resources Policies and Procedures, and departmental procedures.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned and required.
- Must be flexible to work a variable schedule to include, days, nights, weekends, holidays and overtime as required.