The Surgical Recovery Coordinator I is accountable for all activities related to the surgical recovery and safe preservation of organs from donors. This includes, but is not limited to, surgical assistant, operating room logistics and communication, maintaining surgical and preservation supplies, organ preservation, and organ allocation.
- Takes 24-hour call to provide the necessary needs of the donation process.
- Acts as Surgical First Assist to the Surgical Organ Recovery Specialist (SORS) or visiting surgeon, as needed.
- Recovery of all research organs and tissues with assistance if needed from the SORS or SRC II.
- Recovery of Heart for valves in compliance with partner organizations.
- Knowledge of anatomy of abdominal and thoracic organs.
- Transports and delivers organs, kidney pumps, and tissue typing materials to their appropriate destination.
- Takes primary responsibility for placement of kidneys, pancreata and research organs.
- Performs a Physical Assessment in conjunction with the Organ Recovery Coordinator if needed.
- Is responsible for renal pulsatile perfusion duties.
- Is responsible for charter and commercial arrangements for facilitation of operating room timing of abdominal teams and ORC staff.
- Is responsible for lab readiness in the Bellevue office as well as outside offices.
- Must have the ability to keep accurate records, perform calculations, and follow written SOP’s, WI, and guidelines.
- Is responsible for charter and commercial arrangements for facilitation of operation room timing of abdominal teams and ORC staff.
- Serves as a clinical resource for Hospital Development by providing educational in-services on the organ donation process.
- Collaborates with donor hospital staff and other organ recovery teams to facilitate successful transplant outcomes.
- Has professional responsibilities including, but not limited to, meetings, quality assurance, training, and process improvement.
- This position also assists other staff as appropriate in all aspects of the donor process, i.e., strategies to improve the donation process, etc.