EWI is a world leader in developing and deploying new technologies that enable companies to bridge the gap between R&D and manufacturing implementation. EWI associates are passionate about identifying options to technical problems that provide a long-term competitive advantage for our clients. Our clients tell us we are a valuable extension and complement to their innovation, engineering, and manufacturing teams. If you enjoy working with customers, solving difficult technical problems, and developing and applying advanced technology; EWI is the place for you.
EWI has provided high end research and development services to commercial and government clients for over 35 years as a not-for-profit contract research laboratory with a focus on joining and related technologies. EWI’s Arc Welding and Directed Energy Deposition (DED) Processes Group is a world leader in arc welding processes and is building a range of new capabilities to advance robotic arc DED additive manufacturing and repair.
EWI is searching for an Applications Engineer to support the Arc Welding & DED Processes Group, who seeks to become an expert in these technologies. The primary responsibility of the Applications Engineer is to coordinate and execute engineering tasks in support of projects for both government and commercial clients. The Applications Engineer will interface with a range of EWI technical experts to execute larger and inter-disciplinary projects. The Applications Engineer may also serve as the principal investigator for small and medium sized projects. As principal investigator, the Applications Engineer, along with the Project Manager, have full responsibility and accountability for the successful execution of the projects they are assigned. Principal investigators lead the technical approach, coordinate resources in support of project execution, provide interim reports to the client, and prepare and deliver project deliverables to the client. The Applications Engineer also supports the Business Development Group by developing technical and business opportunities and connecting clients with the full range of EWI’s technologies and services.
- Leads projects by managing the technical approach, coordinating resources in support of project execution, managing expectations with the client, and delivering the results to the client
- Plans and executes projects according to project scope, budget, schedule, and client expectations
- Pro-actively interacts with clients to discover their problems, issues, and goals; and formulates solutions that impact their business
- Prepares clear, concise, and accurate technical reports (written and PowerPoint style) for clients and/or internal audiences
- Discovers and develops technical business opportunities that connect clients with EWI’s broad range of technical services and capabilities
- Prepares written work scopes, resource requirements, and schedules for technical proposals
- Effectively delivers oral presentations to both external and internal audiences
- Works on-site to analyze manufacturing / fabrication situations, implement advanced technology solutions, resolve technical issues with existing arc welding technology, and / or performs manufacturing process assessments (less than 15% of the time)
- Promotes and communicates EWI’s capabilities by presenting at conferences, consortia meetings, client meetings, or internal meetings as required
- Develops innovative ideas through internal research and development (IRD) projects to build area of expertise and develop new innovative EWI capabilities