Preferred Location: Tigard, OR or Seattle, WA
The Controller will contribute to the calling of Medical Teams International and oversee all finance, accounting, and reporting activities. The Controller will manage the organizations financial health by ensuring all resources are expended on the highest standards of financial management and accountability and are used to advance the mission of the organization. The Controller will support the Boards Finance and Audit Committee, and will work closely with CFO, the Executive Team, and the Senior Leadership Team.
The Controller will lead all day-to-day finance operations of the organizational budget and supervise a team of finance staff members including functional responsibility over accounting, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll, budget development and analysis, audit preparation, and grants administration. The Controller will ensure systems and procedures are in place to support effective program implementation and conduct flawless audits. The Controller will work closely with program leaders and their staffs, not only to educate them regarding finance and accounting procedures, but also to explore how the finance function may support program operations. They will partner with the CFO, senior leadership, and the human resources (HR) and information technology (IT) staff to enhance functional integration.
The Controller will identify opportunities to improve efficiencies, eliminate backlogs, and respond proactively to other department needs. This position will analyze existing processes and systems and work closely with the CFO to streamline current systems, leverage information technology, and establish operating procedures providing maximum benefit to all parties involved.
The Controller will be a proactive, hands-on finance manager who brings a successful track record of creative problem-solving and strengthening finance infrastructure to mission-driven organizations.
Medical Teams International Calling:
Daring to love like Jesus, we boldly break barriers to health and restore wholeness in a hurting world.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Strategic Financial and Accounting Management:
- Compliance - Manage all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) standards and donor and regulatory requirements, in accordance with financial management techniques and practices appropriate within the nonprofit sector.
- Policies - Implement consistent accounting policies, practices, and procedures across all programs.
- Controls - Provide financial oversight and monitoring, including development and implementation of sound fiscal management practices, policies, procedures, and internal controls safeguards that enhance successful achievement of strategic plans and safeguards.
- Grants - Oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting; ensure expenditures are consistently aligned with grant and program budgets throughout the grant/fund period; collate financial reporting materials for government, corporate, and foundation grants; provide inputs and information necessary to prepare for Negotiated Indirect Cost Rate Agreement (NICRA) negotiations.
- Internal collaboration - Collaborate with the International Finance Team to ensure timely and accurate global month- and year-end closings of accounting transactions; collaborate with the Information Systems team in the implementation of financial and accounting systems utilizing the global Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) and approving all financial transactions in the ERP system; support US Programs department with the financial processes, analyses, and tools to manage operations; support Human Resources by provide guidance on benefit administration.
- Audit - Lead and coordinate the annual external audit and the preparation of the Form 990; coordinate responses to audit findings and questioned costs in collaboration with the International Finance Team.
- Budgeting/planning - Assist organizational leadership in the annual budgeting and planning process; administer and review all financial plans and compare to actual results with a view to identify, explain, and correct variances; collaborate with members of the Executive Team and Senior Leadership Team in drafting, reviewing, and verifying accuracy of annual headquarter budgets by department; lead accounting team in providing timely and accurate reports for all budget holders to compare performance against budgets.
- Metrics - Monitor progress and present financial metrics.
- Reporting - Analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements; support CFO in monitoring progress/changes and development of relevant financial reports to keep the Board, Executive, and Senior Leadership teams abreast of Medical Teams financial status; lead the finance/accounting team in the creation of financial reports for donor proposals.
- Board - Support the CFO in engaging the Boards Audit and Finance committees around issues and trends in financial operating models and delivery and financial governance.
- Cash flow forecasting - Manage organizational cash flow forecasting by working in partnership with department heads; continuously collaborate with department heads to assess the financial efficacy of program operations and establish finance and administrative systems to support program operations.
- Bank relationships - Optimize the handling of banking relationships and initiate appropriate strategies to enhance cash positions.
- Investments - Manage and track the performance of invested assets in keeping with policies and investment guidelines.
- Endowment - Account for and track the performance of Medical Teams endowment in keeping with the policies and investment guidelines established by the investment committee.
- Team management - Recruit, supervise, develop, and evaluate finance staff including meeting regularly with direct reports, managing time sheets and time off approvals, and conducting annual performance reviews.
- Work priorities - Manage workload issues to create a workplace that increases staff retention and strengthens communication within and outside the department.
- Communications - Provide leadership in strengthening internal communications with staff at all levels throughout the organization; create and promote a positive and supportive work environment; provide necessary training and development for finance staff.
- Training - Leverage strengths of the current finance team members; clarify roles and responsibilities; develop and implement training programs to maximize and reach optimal individual and organizational goals.
- Culture - Create a positive work environment for all staff.
- When appropriate, incorporate the use of volunteers in daily job functions.
- Supports safeguarding of program participants and employees through promoting an environment of awareness and upholding the code of conduct provisions of Medical Teams Protection from Sexual Exploitation & Abuse, and Child & Vulnerable Adult protection policies and sexual harassment policies.
- Other duties as assigned.