Reports to: Director, Food and Nutrition Program
Status: Part-Time; Regular; Non-Exempt
Location: Academy, with travel throughout the city
Days/Hours: 30 hours per week
Date Prepared: 6/30/2019
The Fortune Society’s mission is to support successful reentry from incarceration and promote alternatives to incarceration, thus strengthening the fabric of our communities. The Fortune Society’s Food and Nutrition program, Fortune Fresh, promotes access to nourishing food for our clients, staff and community. Further, we believe successful re-entry is incumbent upon fulfilling basic human needs, like hunger. We take this step further by insisting that each meal served is healthy and satisfying.
We serve breakfast, lunch and dinner at our service center in Long Island City and residential facilities in Harlem every day of the year. The Food and Nutrition department executes multiple programs aimed at changing the eating habits of our community for the better. Through our food service program, we directly influence these eating habits by serving hundreds of meals per day. Our kitchens are where we connect our philosophy to reality, introducing new healthier versions of traditional favorites.
We are looking for a cook to join the Fortune Fresh team in our mission to use food and nutrition in support of the communities where formerly incarcerated return.
Cooks delicious, healthful meals using standardized recipes. Those who have a lot of restaurant experience but are ready for a more stable, calm environment may particularly enjoy this position. Cooks with a bakers’ meticulousness are encouraged.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Cooks delicious meals in accordance with menus, recipes and nutrition standards set by City, Director and food safety regulations;
- Maintains the kitchen, its equipment, and serves (when needed) to residents in a respectful manner
- Upholds quality standards by helping to ensure continuity of recipe execution between locations.
- Works with assistants to complete inventory, procurement and requisite paperwork and administrative duties as needed;
- Communicates food, supply and equipment needs in a timely fashion;
- Knowledge of culinary terms and techniques especially those that make healthful foods delicious.
- Reliable and punctual—a team player that understands the culture of a kitchen
- Contributes to an organized, clean and sanitary working environment as dictated by departmental and governmental regulations.
- Works in other Fortune Fresh program areas as needed.
- Communicates well with the team.