This position is responsible for assisting clinical team members by performing a variety of duties for patients within the patient-focused care system and under the direction/supervision of a registered nurse. Assumes, under the direction of the Laboratory, responsibility for patient specimen testing, quality control, quality improvement, and equipment maintenance.
- Always greets patients courteously and makes comfortable with department/surroundings.
- Ensures admission chart is ready and actively assists with admission process (ID band, computer information, and consent form).
- Actively participates in administering patient care and ensures a safe and comforting environment.
- Responds to patients needs in a timely manner.
- Assists patients with ADLs, including meals, bathing and hygiene needs.
- Performs/assists with range of motion exercises and progressive ambulation as directed by RN.
- Performs/assists with positioning patients and transferring patients from bed to chair or wheelchair or stretcher. Transports patients as needed.
- Reports changes in condition to the RN in a timely manner.
- Maintains personal responsibility for clinical growth and development.
- Applies the knowledge of growth and development to appropriate patient populations.
- Maintains patient confidentiality.
- Maintains standard precautions.
- Performs Point of Care procedures in a timely manner according to established policy and procedure. Documents required information and complies with all Point of Care quality control standards.
- Observes intravenous lines for adequacy of fluids and operations and reports any non-functioning line visually observed.
- Performs superficial oral suctioning with a Yankauers.
- Establishes patient setup/connection tasks including inputting patient specific data such as SaO2, and EKG.
- Demonstrates ability to perform 12 lead EKG.
- Collects specimens such as urine, stool, or sputum.
- Obtains weight and basic patient information for new admissions.
- Monitors and performs vital signs using a variety of equipment, and reports to RN.
- Performs blood glucose monitoring.
- Performs ostomy care.
- Performs procedure and surgical preps on patients.
- Ability to apply single dressings and to assist RN with more complex dressings.
- Provides clerical support as needed.
- Utilizes resources in an efficient and cost effective manner.
- Participates in peer review.
- Participates in developing other staff.
- Maintains and develops own competencies.
- Maintains and promotes a team spirit through active cooperation and collaboration.
- Assists in interdepartmental service coordination.
- Actively participates in the Performance Improvement program.
- Assumes a role in the maintenance of the patient-focused care delivery system.
- Provides services to the physicians, within his/her job description and competencies.
- Supports the multi-skilled worker environment (i.e., cross training).
- Demonstrates willingness to staff other areas of the hospital as needed.
- Assists with patient charges as are necessary.
- Maintains knowledge of and confirms to hospital policy and procedure.
- Assures that patient equipment and supplies are available and are in working condition.
- Education: High school graduate or G.E.D. certificate required.
- Licensure/Certification: None required. CNA, MA and/or paramedic certification (National Registry of Emergency Medical Technician (NREMT) paramedic certification) preferred. BLS certification required within the first 30 days of employment. Certification is to be renewed by recommended renewal date on certification card. Basic EKG skills required within 6 months of employment.
- Experience: With CNA, MA and/or paramedic certification, no experience required. Without CNA, MA or paramedic certification, minimum of one year patient care experience in a nursing home or hospital (acute care setting preferred) or one year nursing school required.