The position is responsible for responding to emergency calls to provide efficient and immediate care to the critically ill and injured, and to transport the patient to a medical facility. The Paramedic will provide pre-hospital emergency care and life support to patients during ambulance transport to a hospital or emergency room. The Paramedic should be passionate about saving lives, talented with triage, and can remain level-headed in highly stressful situations. This position is responsible for assisting clinical team members by performing a variety of duties for patients within the patient-focused care system and under the direction/supervision of a registered nurse. Assumes, under the direction of the Laboratory, responsibility for patient specimen testing, quality control, quality improvement, and equipment maintenance.
- Administer life support, first-aid treatment and other forms of prehospital emergency care to people who are injured or sick.
- Drive the ambulance to locations specified by the emergency dispatcher
- Upon arrival on scene, coordinate with other first responders including fire department personnel and other emergency medical team members
- Assess the presentation of illness or injury to prioritize medical treatment
- Immobilize patients with a backboard or neck brace before placement on a stretcher or in an ambulance
- Transport injured or sick patients to appropriate medical facilities in an ambulance or mobile intensive care unit
- Supervise non-paramedic crew members
- Provide basic and advanced life support, including comprehensive patient assessment, invasive airway management, cardiac monitoring and administration of medications
- Operate life support equipment such as bag valve mask resuscitators, electrocardiograms (EKGs), and external defibrillators
- Carry out diagnostic and emergency treatment procedures during ambulance transport, including airway management, heart monitoring, and stomach suction
- Provide comfort and reassurance to patients
- Observe the patient’s condition; record treatment details as well as the patient’s response to treatment; report to physician upon arrival at hospital
- Communicate with treatment center personnel regarding relevant details about the situation along with patient vital signs and medical history
- Always greets patients courteously and makes comfortable with department/surroundings.
- Ensures admission chart is ready and actively assists with admission process (ID band, computer information, and consent form).
- Actively participates in administering patient care and ensures a safe and comforting environment.
- Assists patients with ADLs, including meals, bathing and hygiene needs.
- Sanitize the interior of the ambulance following treatment of a patient
- Maintain emergency vehicles, communication equipment, and medical equipment; notify supervisors of malfunctions and restocking needs
- Maintains patient confidentiality.
- Maintains standard precautions.