American Preclinical Services is currently seeking a Research Technician - Large Animal for both evening and overnight shifts.
This role provides care for laboratory animals before and after surgical procedures, including ongoing monitoring, data collection and providing for their basic needs in accordance with APS SOPs and study protocols while adhering to GLP and non-GLP study guidelines as required.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Dispenses medications as prescribed by veterinarian and/or protocol specifications.
- Performs and documents a variety of activities, including but not limited to, routine clinical observations, charting of physiological data and animal health status, taking study-required animal weights, documentation of maintenance medicine administration, etc.
- Administers start-up medications, monitors the fasting of animals, and performs pre-procedure animal weights and clinical observations.
- Monitors animals during their critical recovery phase on the days following surgery, including performing TPRs (temp, pulse, respiration), auscultation of the heart and lungs, assessing pain of animals at incision sites, changing wound dressings and administering medications.
- Performs intravenous blood draws.
- Performs preventive health maintenance such as administering maintenance medications, administering anthelmintics and vaccinations, ointment applications, hoof and nail trims including sedation as needed, bathing and ear cleaning.
- Performs all aspects of veterinary care and general husbandry procedures according to established procedures, guidelines and study protocols that meet the acceptable criteria of the veterinarian.
- Communicates with veterinary staff, supervisor and study directors regarding living conditions and medical status of animals.