Requirements and Conditions (Essential Functions)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform all of the duties described in the preceding in an efficient and competent manner. The requirements and conditions listed below are representative of the minimum levels of knowledge, skill, experience, and/or ability required. Some requirements may be modified to accommodate individuals with disabilities:
Education and/or Experience
- High school education preferred but not required.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- (None required)
- Be able to perform arithmetical calculations at the tenth-grade level in order to perform cutting tests, calculate percentages, ratios and tare weight allowances, apply concepts of basic algebra; verify vendor invoice charges and counts, and complete and submit required records and reports.
- Ability to hear, speak and understand the spoken word in order to respond promptly to pages for assistance, to accommodate verbal requests from customers for information or assistance, to answer telephones, and to be able to communicate effectively with department employees, the store’s co-workers and customers;
- Ability to read, write, analyze, interpret and understand the English language with sufficient proficiency in order to read and understand:
- instructions for operating electrical equipment and tools
- company handbooks, policies and procedures and
- other written job-related documents including postings on company bulletin boards;
- Ability to fill out forms, compose and write reports, and formulate customer signs or sales suggestions.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in circumstances where only limited standardization may exist;
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in diagram, oral, schedule, or written forms.
Other Skills or Requirements
- Be fully knowledgeable and thoroughly familiar with all of the various cuts and types of meat products (including deli) sold in the department including recommended uses or cooking methods; and store/department procedures, policies and operations;
- Be able to pass a standard drug test and qualify as being drug-free under the legal and medical guidelines permitted by the Drug Free Workplace Act of 1988;
- Be able to perform all duties and responsibilities in an efficient and satisfactory manner that meets the minimum standards for productivity, accuracy, cleanliness, harmony and safety established at the employer’s individual site (normally measured but not necessarily limited to units of one or more of the following: total transaction throughput, unit time per task, sales per man-hour, and/or cases, units, tasks or pounds per man-hour).
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Some requirements may be modified to accommodate individual with disabilities:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; stand; and use the hands to handle, finger, or feel objects, tools or controls;
- The employee must frequently walk, talk or hear, and reach with the hands and arms; occasionally, the employee must crouch or kneel;
- The employee must occasionally exert or lift up to 50 pounds carrying boxes of records and forms and frequently exert or lift negligible amounts of weight;
- Successful performance requires specific vision abilities that include close vision and the ability to adjust focus;
- Have sufficient visual acuity to check and verify invoices and other written documents;
- Be able to lift up to 150 pounds at least once per shift, carrying carcass beef and bulk cartons of other meat products as well as tallow trimmings, etc.;
- Be able to climb a ladder to retrieve items stored in overhead racks such as trays and wrapping material;
- Be able to sweep and mop floors and lift and carry out trash containers or tallow barrels to be emptied in an outside bin;
- Have sufficient physical mobility or agility to be able to respond quickly to fire or other emergencies and sufficient dexterity to disassemble and clean meat department saws, grinders, and other equipment;
- Be able to work in refrigerated coolers and cutting rooms and be able to endure working under temperature extremes in frozen food storage boxes for up to 10 minutes at a time;
- Be able to work in an environment that has fresh fruits, vegetables, house plants and flowers without negative allergic consequences;
- Be able to tolerate moderate amounts of dust and chemical fumes from common household cleaning agents such as quaternary ammonia compounds during routine housekeeping duties.
The work environment conditions described below are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. It may be possible to modify some circumstances to accommodate individuals with disabilities:
- The work environment includes continuous duties in refrigerated cutting rooms and storage areas (relatively high humidity) with occasional duties in frozen food storage boxes maintained at temperatures as low as 20 degrees (Fahrenheit) below zero;
- The work environment includes working on surfaces that are wet and slippery;
- Typically, the noise level in the work environment is moderate; however, on occasion, it can be extremely noisy when the employee must enter the compressor/machine room to check on refrigeration equipment or when working with power tools and equipment;
- Access to break rooms, offices and all employee restrooms may require ascending/descending a flight of stairs; there may be no restrooms available at street level nor are there any public restrooms available elsewhere on the premises.
Important Disclaimer Notice
The job duties, elements, responsibilities, skills, functions, experience, educational factors, and the requirements and conditions listed in this job description are representative only and not exhaustive of the tasks that an employee may be required to perform. The Employer reserves the right to revise this job description at any time and to require employees to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of its business, competitive considerations, or the work environment change.