The Jewish Community Center is seeking a full time Director of Literary Arts to join our team. This position oversees all aspects of the St. Louis Jewish Book Festival and our Winter and Summer Used Book Sales. The book festival is nationally recognized as being one of the largest in the country and we just completed our 42nd festival. Full time positions at the J include our employee benefits package: medical, dental, vision, life insurance, long term disability insurance, voluntary insurance plans, pension, 403b, paid vacation, sick and holiday time, membership and program discounts, etc.
The Director of Literary Arts is responsible for overseeing all aspects of planning, development, and implementation of the two week long St. Louis Jewish Book Festival (JBF) in November as well as the Winter and Summer Used Book Sales. JBF responsibilities includes author/talent selection and booking, budget development and meeting of budget goals, securing funds from current and potential individual and corporate donors, overseeing a large volunteer committee and working with JCC marketing team to promote, outreach, and grow audiences. Used Book Sale responsibilities include recruiting and managing volunteer sorters throughout the year, implementing 6 day Used Book sale each August and January, and marketing the program.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct author searches, including negotiation & selection in coordination with Jewish Book Council and Book Expo America as appropriate
- Schedule & coordinate author presentations including arrangement of travel to and from St. Louis and creation of festival events & elements.
- Oversee media relations, PR & publicity for all assigned programs and events; including writing of Festival brochure and press releases in collaboration with JCC Marketing Department
- Working collaboratively with JCC Development Staff to recruit, solicit, and retain festival sponsors and co-sponsors, inclusive of in-kind donations as appropriate.
- Recruit, retain, and manage Festival volunteer planning committee.
- Maintain accurate data bases of committees and subcommittee members, patrons, sponsors, and co-sponsors
- Manage the Jewish Book Festival Store including ordering books from local independent bookstore, local authors, and setting up systems for book sales and bookstore volunteers.
- Develop and implement two Used Book Sale events, one in August and one in January.
- Recruit and manage Used Book Sale volunteers who sort books throughout the year and help during the sale itself.
- Work closely with JCC Marketing Department to develop and implement sales/marketing operating initiatives and budgets.
- Develop the budgets for the programs and monitor for progress on a monthly basis as a part of annual goals for program.
- Ensure excellent customer service and customer responsiveness to both inside and outside customers.
- Understand and be committed to the mission and vision of the Jewish Community Center. Be knowledgeable about the JCC and its programs. Be an advocate for the JCC and its programs and staff. Participate in and promote both programs and events.
- Develop and ensure effective collaboration with relevant Jewish and general community organizations and with other staff throughout the JCC.
- Develop and implement strategies for improving program participation and financial outcomes for events.
- Develop plans to evaluate programs relative to mission and goals for the JCC using existing Logic Models and survey technology. Ensure that JCC goals are used in evaluation process.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.