WHYY serves the Philadelphia region with trusted journalism, eye-opening storytelling and intimate local arts programming. Our curiosity and commitment to this community is what drives our programming. It’s also what drives our hiring.
Below you’ll find an employment opportunity in the fast-paced setting of the Philadelphia region’s leading public media provider. The award-winning professional staff of WHYY sets the bar high in television, radio and online. Whether it’s preparing a program to air or a behind-the-scenes role in support, all positions are vital to continuing—and growing—our impact in our community.
WHYY offers a voice to those not heard, a platform to share everyone’s stories, a foundation to empower early and lifelong learners and a trusted space for unbiased news. Learn more about our Social Responsibility Program. It’s how we live.
About the Role
WHYY is seeking an associate producer for the newly formed Digital Studios department at WHYY. This position is responsible for supporting producers across video and podcast for WHYY’s digital properties; position may specialize in editing, shooting, writing or talent activities or a combination thereof. The ideal candidate has hands-on production experience, proficiency with DSLR cameras and audio equipment, proficiency editing in Premiere and basic graphics and animation skills. You will collaborate with editorial and social teams to produce video and ensure brand consistency. You're able to assist on video shoots and recording sessions and have a basic understanding of the production process for digital content. You bring flexibility and an open mind to shared projects. You welcome feedback and build efficiencies within your environment. You don't shy away from tackling big ideas and challenges. You know how to create structure within the autonomous nature of your role. Experience with news, content, TV, web publishers or agency work preferred. Basic understanding of social platforms and analytics a must.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for assisting with the production of original video content in field and studio.
- Booking and organizing video shoots and crews with attention to budget.
- Shape editorial pitches into video concepts and coordinate shoot logistics
- Research, develop and produce editorially rich story telling designed for a social and online audience.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; demonstrated writing skills with careful attention to detail.
- Excellent organizational, project planning, presentation, interpersonal and time management skills.
- Demonstrated facility with editing on Premiere.
- Basic camera, lighting and audio knowledge a must.
- Support Audience Engagement Team in content ideation and execution
- Prepares outline, formats and rough cuts for approval
- Maintains a regular and predictable attendance at WHYY offices in Philadelphia.
- Support third party production partners when necessary
- Perform related special projects or other duties as assigned.
- Report to VP, Programming and Production
- Must have sample scripts and a portfolio of work to demonstrate skills and abilities