ABOUT EQUAL JUSTICE WORKS
Equal Justice Works is the nation’s largest facilitator of opportunities in public interest law. We achieve this through creating Fellowship programs for lawyers and community organizers, hosting the largest national public interest law career fair, advocating for Public Service Loan Forgiveness, and supporting law students pursuing public interest law careers. We bring together an extensive community of law schools, law students, lawyers, community organizers, legal services organizations, and supporters to promote a lifelong commitment to public service and equal justice. Following their Fellowships, more than 85% of our Fellows remain in public service positions, continuing to pursue equal justice for under-resourced communities across the country.
Equal Justice Works seeks a Chief of Staff to work closely with the Chief Executive Officer to realize EJW’s mission and join us in pursuing our vision to build a community of leaders who will fulfill our nation's promise of equal justice for all.
This has been a landmark year for Equal Justice Works. Under the leadership of a new Chief Executive Officer (CEO), who has a clear vision for the future of the organization, Equal Justice Works looks to continue its strong record of championing access to justice and legal protections for under-served communities. To advance this mission, Equal Justice Works seeks a Chief of Staff who will serve as a trusted advisor to the CEO, bring a passion for organizational excellence, and actively contribute to all aspects of programming and strategy aligned with Equal Justice Works' mission, vision, values, and strategic plan.
The Chief of Staff will balance strategic and innovative thinking with the realities of tactical execution and organizational effectiveness; uphold a high standard of discretion and integrity handling confidential matters; and be comfortable collaborating with and engaging senior leaders, staff members, and external constituents while managing in a fast-paced environment. The position manages one direct report – the Senior Manager, Strategy Execution.
Strategic Leadership (45%)
- As confidential thought partner, act as sounding board to CEO and leadership team to drive forward organizational decisions, promote community, and encourage organization-wide team engagement.
- Advance the mission, vision, and values of Equal Justice Works.
- Advise CEO on organization’s strategic direction and leadership team’s priorities, including strategy development; evaluate new ideas and business opportunities; and conduct analysis and research to support key decisions.
- Proactively identify potential strategic opportunities and challenges; recommend courses of action or solutions.
- Work collaboratively to resolve and/or mitigate issues/concerns; respond to questions; and manage requests on CEO's behalf.
- Work with CEO to manage relationships with board of directors.
Management and Operational Support (25%)
- Lead cross-functional project teams and work collaboratively toward resolution of complex issues that span organizational boundaries. Track progress and action items or delegate them to others to do.
- Partner with senior leaders and stakeholder groups, providing counsel to advance key initiatives.
- Support CEO in addressing issues that may arise around the intersection of policies, processes, and practices.
- Develop and iterate management practices to enable transparency, efficiency, and effectiveness of organization.
- Partner with Vice President of Marketing and Communications to write speeches and strategic documents, as well as craft internal communications on behalf of CEO.
- Plan and manage agenda setting and coordination of all board meetings, standing leadership and committee meetings, and other EJW-wide events.
- Prepare talking points and presentations for the CEO, and follow-up communication as needed. Coordinate requisite support resources and capture action items for response and/or closure.
- Serve as liaison to a broad variety of internal and external constituencies.
- Deliver presentations to external constituents as needed and represent the organization at sector and sponsor-related events and conferences.