Position Title: Camp Counselor
Reports to: Site Coordinator
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Prepared Date: April 12, 2021
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: Camp Counselors are on-site childcare workers working at our Summer Camp programs at either the Middlesex YMCA or at the Summer Literacy Program in Middletown Public Schools.
1. Plan, organize, and facilitate developmentally appropriate recreational, enrichment, and learning activities.
· Plan daily theme related activities that meet the diverse needs of children in the program using both personal experience and the curriculum and resources provided.
· Expected to be prepared and organize to facilitate daily activities.
· Expected to take initiative and leadership in involving children in the planning of projects and following through with the implementation of the project ideas.
· Daily set up and clean up of the program space.
· Maintain program facility and equipment.
2. Provide a safe, nurturing, and respectful environment for children in the program.
· Ensure that children are properly supervised at all times.
· Use the 1*2*3 System to provide routine discipline to children.
· Promote positive social interaction through the modeling of appropriate communication and problem solving.
· Enforce rules and appropriate consequences.
· Establish and maintain boundaries in program space and outdoors that allows for social distancing at all times.
· Remain engaged with children, maintaining an enthusiastic and committed attitude.
· Provide age appropriate materials for children keeping children involved in positive, productive activity.
· Follow all YMCA policy and procedure regarding discipline, supervision, communication, and appropriate interaction.
· Maintain a professional appearance. Dress in clothing that is comfortable and appropriate for active participation in all program activities.
3. Provide communication with parents and provide documentation when necessary.
· Provide parents with information regarding their children as needed via phone or email only to avoid any spread of COVID-19.
· Provide well-written documentation of any injury, accident, or incident as required by policy.
· Maintain confidentiality at all times.
4. Maintain a positive working relationship with YMCA colleagues.
· Maintain professional boundaries and open communication with other YMCA staff.
· Bring concerns regarding the staff to the attention of the Site Coordinator or School Age Programs Director.
· Work in partnership with YMCA colleagues to assure the best possible outcomes for children in the program.
· Communicate and problem solve with colleagues using positive and effective strategies, providing an example for the children in the program.
· Speak positively about the YMCA Programs, co-workers, school personnel, and supervisors.
5. Follow all YMCA Kids’ Korner Policy and Procedure and State of Connecticut Licensing Mandates.
· Read and have a strong working knowledge of the YMCA Kids’ Korner Policy and Procedure Manual.
· Have a strong working knowledge of State of CT Licensing Regulations.
· Abide by all policy, procedure, and program rules.
· Understand Mandated Reporter and Child Abuse Prevention Responsibilities.
· Report any incident of inappropriate behavior or breach of policy to your supervisor.
· Maintain certifications, documented training hours, and required paperwork in your personnel file.
1. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
2. While performing functions of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk and hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25lbs. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.