**Please indicate if you are interested in a full time or part time position when submitting your application**
COLLEGE NOW GREATER CLEVELAND
POSITION TITLE: College Access Advisor
STANDARD HOURS: 8 hours per day; hours vary depending on school schedule and school needs
REPORTS TO: Manager of Advising Services and Programs
ASSIGNED TO: Advising Services
The Advisor helps students aspire to, prepare for, enroll in, and find resources to pay for postsecondary education. This is mainly accomplished via classroom workshops, group sessions, individual student meetings, and parent/guardian meetings.
- Work within each assigned location’s unique environment in order to best serve students while meeting College Now expectations.
- Provide group and individual services to students and students’ parent(s)/guardian(s).
- Assist students with discerning career and college goals, using web-based tools, by providing information regarding educational options beyond high school, including institutional choice, career options, admissions and financial aid.
- Advise students about college entrance exams (including ACT, PSAT, SAT) and test preparation resources; assisting students with test registration and providing fee waivers.
- Assist students with ACT, PSAT, SAT test preparation.
- Supply students with admission and financial aid applications; providing waivers, where appropriate, for application fees and tuition/housing deposits.
- Guide students through the college and career application process.
- Guide students and/or students’ parent(s)/guardian(s) through the financial aid process, including assistance with the FAFSA and CSS Profile, advocating for those with special circumstances, reviewing the SAR, interpreting college financial aid award letters, assisting with verification and helping students with any other necessary paperwork.
- Promote scholarship opportunities and encouraging students to research and apply for applicable scholarships and awards.
- Recommend qualified high school seniors for College Now scholarships; collect required documentation and enter appropriate information in a student information database.
- If applicable, serve as a mentor/team leader to AmeriCorps College Guide(s) assigned to the Advisor’s school(s) by facilitating integration into the school, assisting with delivery of classroom presentations, and working as a team to provide services to students and families.
- Track all services by accurately entering demographic information, contacts and notes in a student information database. Adhere to strict confidentiality in student record keeping.
- Serve as a student advocate through: 1) communication with colleges and universities; 2) communication with parent(s)/guardian(s); 3) collaboration with school; and 4) communication and cooperation with outside scholarship programs.
- Refer students to other services, e.g. school counselors, staff, college departments and other agencies for assistance in areas outside of College Now’s responsibilities, if deemed necessary.
- Become aware of and open to opportunities to promote College Now services through community outreach.
- Attend all advisor trainings and meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.