The Fund for Public Health in New York City (FPHNYC) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that is dedicated to the advancement of the health and well-being of all New Yorkers. To this end, in partnership with the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH), FPHNYC incubates innovative public health initiatives implemented by DOHMH to advance community health throughout the city. It facilitates partnerships, often new and unconventional, between government and the private sector to develop, test, and launch new initiatives. These collaborations speed the execution of demonstration projects, effect expansion of successful pilot programs, and support rapid implementation to meet the public health needs of individuals, families, and communities across New York City.
The New York City Department of Health (DOHMH) has received funding via the Epidemiology and Laboratory Capacity (ELC) grant from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to conduct work to support the emergency response to the COVID-19 pandemic. This position to work as a Data Engineer is funded through June 2023. This position will work on-site to the NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, Gotham Center, 42-09 28th Street, Queens, NY 11101 with an option for remote work.
Location: 42 09 28th Street, LIC, NY 11101
We are seeking a Data Engineer with experience in SQL, including developing and debugging stored procedures; SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS); and base SAS to work with our team to maintain and expand an applicationto share data used for monitoring of social determinants of health, health behaviors, access to health care, and disease outcomes, including cases and rates of COVID-19.
The Data Engineer will work with a Health Department team to:
- Transform raw SAS data into tables to be consumed by the application.
- Combine structured data from different sources.
- Execute and optimize SSIS packages to upload and transform data.
- Conduct quality assurance checks of uploads.
- Analyze and organize complex survey data and disease count and rate data.
- Identify, design, document, and implement internal process improvements.
- Develop and document data pipelines.
- Work with stakeholders including the Business Owner, data stewards, and IT teams to assist with data-related technical issues.