Job Title: Sensory Intern
Department: Research & Development
Reports to: Sensory Manager
Yakima Chief Hops is seeking a motivated team member to assist in the execution of our sensory panel. This position involves sample preparation, panel set up, cleaning, and maintaining sensory facilities. This person will communicate frequently with sensory panelists and the Research & Development department. A strong candidate pays close attention to detail, has strong communication skills, and works well in a team environment. This position shall be filled mid-August through mid-October.
- Possess a strong work ethic to positively contribute to the company’s mission, vision, values and environmental policy and quality policy
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to adapt to changing paces and processes quickly
- Willingness to wear appropriate personal protective equipment in required areas for extended periods of time
- A desire to work with brewers and growers and lead in the field in sensory analysis of hops and beer
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel and Smartsheet
- Understanding of food safety and lab safety practices
- Understanding of statistical analysis methods
- Willingness to travel daily between production facilities
- Request and prepare sensory and brewing samples
- Manage sample inventory
- Perform regular sensory panel set up, execution and clean up
- Enter sensory data and manage sensory database
- Prepare panel training materials
- Adhere to all standard operating procedures
- Participate as an active Research & Development team member
- Assist the Sensory Manager as necessary
- Maintain sanitary and safe work environment and follow safety requirements.
- May actively participate on company’s Safety Committee.
- Ensure that company safety policies as well as federal, state and local safety and environmental regulations are observed.
- Must have a complete understanding of company’s policies, SOPs, QPs, EPs, HACCP and cGMP that pertain to their department to ensure quality, safety, efficiency and sustainability.
- Must adhere to all company policies.
- Examine documents, materials, and products and monitor work processes to assess completeness, accuracy and conformance to standards and specifications.
- Follow all SOPs in a given area.
- Perform all other duties as assigned by Manager and/or designee.