EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Associate's degree (A. A.) OR equivalent training from two-year college or technical/vocational school preferred and a minimum of 2 years related experience as a Diesel Mechanic.
- Experience working on buses and school buses preferred.
- Experience running diagnostic testing equipment to determine malfunctions, etc.
- Proficiency in the use of shop tools required and ownership of mechanic tool set is a must.
- Strong background with troubleshooting electrical problems on a bus/school bus.
- Must have a proven track record of reliability/dependability with a strong understanding of work schedules and time constraints of a busy shop;
KEY SKILLSETS & ABILITIES:
- Organization and Judgment: Demonstrates initiative and exercises good judgment, planning work and carrying out tasks without detailed instructions; makes constructive suggestions; prepares for problems or opportunities in advance and undertakes additional responsibilities.
- Adaptability: Ability to adapt quickly to change and be open to considering new approaches to solving problems and work processes.
- Attention to Detail: Thoroughness in accomplishing a task through concern for all the areas involved, no matter how small. Monitors and checks work or information and plans and organizes time and resources efficiently.
- Language / Writing: Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, correspondence, and memos. Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively in one-on-one and small group situations, including clients and employees.
- Computer: - Basic PC skills with particular emphasis on Microsoft Office (MSWord, MS Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook). Ability to quickly learn additional software programs as required by job responsibilities.
- Customer Orientation: Demonstrates concern for meeting internal and external customers' needs in a manner that provides satisfaction for the customer within the resources that can be made available.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee could be exposed to fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals and outside weather conditions. They may be required to work in extreme cold and extreme heat and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions. Their work may involve risks to hazards such as: working around moving mechanical parts; risk of electrical shock; explosives and vibration. The noise level in the work environment may exceed 85dB and will require the use of hearing protection.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand or walk. They will need to use their hands and fingers to handle or feel and to reach with hands and arms. They will need to use their senses to see, feel, hear, taste and smell. The employee may be required to climb ladders, and/or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must be able to carry/transport/move equipment up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Must possess a TWIC card. Willing/able to obtain a TWIC if not in possession.
- Current driver’s license from state of residence and proof of vehicle insurance with state liability minimum. Valid driver’s license from state of residence, proof of vehicle insurance with state liability minimum and a clean MVR (no major violations).
- Willing/able to obtain a CDL license with Class P endorsement.