Fresh Air with Terry Gross, the Peabody Award-winning weekday magazine of contemporary arts and issues, is one of public radio's most popular programs. Each week, nearly 5 million people listen to the show's intimate conversations broadcast on more than 650 NPR stations across the country, with over 3.5 million podcast downloads a week. Fresh Air is searching for a new interviewer and fill-in host to become a regular presence on the program.
Please provide a cover letter, resume, and 2 – 3 examples of your work that demonstrate your interview style and experience. All inquiries will be handled discreetly.
Ideally, this position will be filled by someone based in Philadelphia or willing to relocate (Fresh Air is produced in Philadelphia at WHYY). But it can be a remote position, with quarterly trips to Philadelphia.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Contribute long-form interviews weekly on Fresh Air, on an average of two per week.
- Host the program as needed, including during weeks (approximately 6 each year) when the host is on vacation or on assignment. Host our Friday archive show.
- Prepare in-depth for each interview and write interview questions – interviews should be structured to include (when applicable) biographical chapters which link the life experiences of the guest to their work and career.
- Pitch interview ideas at editorial meetings. Work with Fresh Air producers to choose interesting guests in current events, books, arts, and culture.
- Write (and read) lively, informative show copy.
- Contribute to the editorial vision of the show.
- Attend weekly editorial meetings, as well as other staff meetings, as needed.