WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
The Recording Academy – the organization behind the world-famous GRAMMY Awards – is seeking an accomplished Vice President, Digital Strategy responsible for the strategic planning, daily operations, and ongoing delivery of the company’s digital media priorities inclusive of Content Strategy (Website, Editorial), Digital Products and Digital Media development.
Guiding editorial, technical development (high-traffic website and digital products) as well as media and content teams, the ideal candidate has a strong technical background with a firm grasp of digital media as well as website, content and editorial oversight experience demonstrating cross-department collaboration and external partnership management from big picture strategies through detailed and rapid project lifecycle management and execution. Manage a shared service team of product managers, developers and digital media creators including writers, designers, video producers, and operational professionals.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
In addition to informing the ongoing digital media performance, revenue, and strategic decision making across the company, this position will also be directly responsible for managing the following:
- Oversee the production of digital content to drive engagement, retention, revenue, leads, and consumer behavior across its expanding digital experience.
- Lead digital content operations supporting multiple formats (text, image, audio, and video), and is an expert in all things related to:
- Content and channel optimization
- Segmentation, syndication, and amplification
- Analytics and meaningful measurement
- Best practices, emerging trends, and rapid-project workflows
- Brand consistency
- Digital Expertise & Data Analysis - Leverage technical knowledge and experience, conduct market research, and bring new digital trends and developments to the table, particularly as they relate to the Recording Academy. Use quantitative / qualitative data and business best practices to inform, align, coordinate, and evaluate the ongoing development of digital products within the larger organization.
- Product Strategy & Digital Roadmap - Work in partnership with the Chief Operating Officer to develop a data-driven product strategy and annual roadmap that is aligned to the Recording Academy’s overall digital media goals and priorities, reflective of the business stakeholders’ needs, and above-and-beyond the audience’s expectations.
- Content Strategy & Calendaring - This position serves as the subject matter expert on digital editorial content and video for the team, internal and external stakeholders, and trustees. Works with the Chief Operating Officer and Managing Editor, to map out daily, long-term, and real-time content strategies that support stakeholder initiatives, while extending Digital Media business priorities and revenue generating opportunities. Develops repeatable content features and ongoing cadences that are data-informed by functional audience segments throughout the Recording Academy, specifically The GRAMMYs, MusiCares, Membership, and Advocacy.
- Project Management and Delivery - Collaborate with stakeholders and internal teams across multiple work streams to help define project goals, scope, production schedules and milestones, resource requirements, cost estimates, operating budgets, and success metrics for various types of digital media projects. Manage project management resources to provide daily oversight of the digital production schedule, ensuring on-time delivery and support. Interface with the Marketing team to best showcase Digital Product (content) on social platforms.
- Editorial Team Building - Manage, mentor, and build a team that creates stories and content experiences that stand out in the crowded digital landscape, resonates with various audiences, and promotes increased and consistent engagement. Works closely with Managing Editor, Digital to define, kickoff, and execute editorial initiatives and projects. Oversees resource planning functions and hires content staff and external story leaders.
- Relationship Building - Act as a digital media evangelist to build awareness, understanding, and realistic expectations with internal project teams, business stakeholders, and external partners. Focus on the solution by clearly defining purpose, roles and responsibilities, and accountability, while maintaining a sense of positivity, accessibility, and stability under pressure.
- Collaboration, Relationship Building, & Brand Consistency - Acts as a digital content evangelist to build awareness, understanding, and realistic expectations with internal teams, stakeholders, and external partners. Communicates directly with internal department heads and business leads to ensure strategy alignment, collaboration, and streamlined operations. Ensures all content is on-brand, consistent in terms of style, quality and tone of voice, and optimized for search and user experience for all channels of content including web, mobile, video, point-of-purchase, etc. Maximizes the integration of content activities within traditional marketing campaigns. Works closely with the company’s Creative Services/Brand department on all branding initiatives to ensure a consistent message across channels, and aids with creating a digital brand filter informed by the overarching brand strategy that translates successfully within the digital landscape.
- Communication & Leadership - Lead ongoing communications, meetings, and status reports to build rapport, transparency, and maintain project health. Celebrate wins, obtain sign-offs on all key deliverables, assess the time and financial impact of changes, log risks, track issues, and create mitigation plans when appropriate.
- Best Practices, Workflows, & Quality Assurance - Use creative and technical standards to maintain quality at every stage of the project. Understand, communicate, and implement technology / procedural best practices with internal teams and external partners. Enforce a high standard for content, including grammar, messaging, writing, production design, and audio and video production. Develop the criteria used to evaluate ideas from the team, stakeholders, and external sources. Establish workflows for requesting, creating, editing, publishing, and retiring content. Develop standards, systems, and best practices (both operational and technological) for content pitching, creation, distribution, maintenance, archiving, retrieval, and repurposing. Conducts periodic competitive audits.
- Business Intelligence & Continuous Improvement - Leverage market data to develop content themes, topics, and assets that support a point of view, educate customers, and lead to critical user behavior, particularly as they relate to the music industry. Supervise the gathering of real-time data and long term KPIs, working with the team to make operational recommendations, course corrections, and overhauls as needed. Conducts ongoing usability tests to gauge content effectiveness. Determines which methods work for the brand and why. Continuous improvement is a must.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- 8+ years of relevant experience in product strategy, product development, or technical project management for a high-profile digital media organization.
- Demonstrated development, implementation, and execution of a data-driven digital roadmap that maximizes business value, market share, and customer experience.
- Proven track record of translating strategic vision into detailed business requirements and tactical project tasks that drive the daily operations of an entire digital product line lifecycle.
- Demonstrated implementation, maintenance, and use of digital and project tracking tools, such as Jira, Slack, Basecamp, Adobe/Omniture, Google Analytics, or similar.
- Familiarity with agile and waterfall methodologies required.
- Proven ability delivering digital product opportunity and post-mortem assessments, business models, performance dashboards, ROI, and executive summaries that clearly translates and contextualizes the data.
- Grasp of digital media platform, social media, and content trends.
- Past coding and program development a plus.
- Scalable Cloud hosting and optimization experience for dramatic traffic increases during the telecast.
- Drupal and Sanity.io Headless CMS experience a plus.
- 8+ years experience in a content leadership role, preferably at a multi-channel content creation company, online publication or brand-content studio.
- Previous leadership of a diverse team of editorial, video, and design creators.
- Proven ability to develop, assign, and edit high-quality, multiplatform content that covers music, industry news, business, technology and/or pop culture.
- Firm grasp of digital media, social media, and content trends.
- Direct experience assessing and operationalizing data and analytics.
- Exceptional organizational, strategic, and writing and editing skills.
- Deep understanding of content planning, distribution, and syndication.
- Ability to develop workflows that deliver content optimized for every screen.
- Experience nurturing and initiating creative thinking.
- Established reputation as a collaborative partner and a fearless leader.
- Demonstrated ability to implement, maintain, and use content creation, management, and tracking tools and technology, including Drupal, Divvy, Curata, etc.
- A network of reliable and experienced freelancers.
- SEO and SEM experience a plus.
- Driving business results through highly matrixed environments.
- Presenting to senior executives, partners, and stakeholders.
- Consulting with senior leaders and stakeholders to effectively apply digital product recommendations into business plans, budget allocation, and implementation plans.
- Prioritizing projects in alignment with organizational objectives.
- Communicating and implementing digital standards with internal and external partners and vendors.
- Advising on vendor selection and management.
- Additional project-related duties as assigned.
- Ad hoc reporting as required.
Physical demands for certain roles:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and sit for long periods of time, and work at a computer for long periods of time.
The employee will be required to lift and/or move up to 60 pounds.
ABOUT THE RECORDING ACADEMY AND ITS AFFILIATES
The Recording Academy represents the voices of performers, songwriters, producers, engineers, and all music professionals. Dedicated to ensuring the recording arts remain a thriving part of our shared cultural heritage, the Academy honors music's history while investing in its future through the GRAMMY Museum, advocates on behalf of music creators, supports music people in times of need through MusiCares, and celebrates artistic excellence through the GRAMMY Awards—music's only peer-recognized accolade and highest achievement. As the world's leading society of music professionals, we work year-round to foster a more inspiring world for creators.
Established in 2008 as a partnership between the Recording Academy and AEG, the GRAMMY Museum is a non-profit organization dedicated to cultivating a greater understanding of the history and significance of music. Paying tribute to our collective musical heritage, the Museum explores and celebrates all aspects of the art form—from the technology of the recording process to the legends who've made lasting marks on our cultural identity. In 2017, the Museum integrated with its sister organization, the GRAMMY Foundation, to broaden the reach of its music education and preservation initiatives. As a unified organization, today, the GRAMMY Museum fulfills its mission of making music a valued and indelible part of our society through exhibits, education, grants, and public programming.
LATIN RECORDING ACADEMY
The Latin Recording Academy is an international, membership-based organization comprised of Spanish- and Portuguese-speaking recording artists, musicians, songwriters, producers and other creative and technical recording professionals. The organization is dedicated to improving the quality of life and cultural condition for Latin music and its makers. In addition to producing the Latin GRAMMY Awards to honor excellence in the recorded arts and sciences, The Latin Recording Academy provides educational and outreach programs for the Latin music community either directly or through its Latin GRAMMY Cultural Foundation®.
A friend and ally of the music community, MusiCares was established by the Recording Academy to safeguard the health and well-being of all music people. A four-star charity and safety net in times of need, MusiCares offers confidential preventative, recovery, and emergency programs to address financial, medical, and personal health issues. Through the generosity of our donors and volunteer professionals, our dedicated team works across the country to ensure the music community has the resources and support it needs.
The Recording Academy provides equal opportunity in programs and employment and is strongly committed to maintaining a climate supportive of respect for differences and equality of opportunity. We promote excellence through diversity and encourage all qualified individuals to apply.