LJA Mission Statement:
The mission of Lake Junaluska is to be a place of Christian hospitality where lives are transformed through renewal of soul, mind and body.
Located in the Smoky Mountains of Western North Carolina, Lake Junaluska is a conference and retreat center that hosts over 50,000 overnight guests annually. We have over 400 lodging rooms, a campground, and meeting space for up to 2,000 people. All of our facilities are located on a scenic 1,200 acre campus which boasts panoramic views, abundant recreation opportunities, and a 200 acre lake. Our market ranges from youth groups to affluent leisure guests primarily from the Southeastern US
The Director of Maintenance is responsible for providing supervision and management to the maintenance, grounds and landscaping, and custodian department. The Director is responsible for the day-to-day maintenance operations of all Lake Junaluska owned buildings, properties, and infrastructures. This position provides technical advice and updates to the General Manager regularly regarding the maintenance and repairs of all Lake Junaluska properties, buildings, and grounds. This is a working position requiring physically demanding work at times.
- Plans, directs and coordinates all functions of the maintenance, grounds/landscaping and custodian operations.
- Responsible for the overall supervision and management of the staff and operations in the areas of: Maintenance, Grounds and Landscaping, and Custodians.
- Responsible for the overall management of Maintenance staff’s timely response to maintenance issues, calls for service, repairs, and routine maintenance for all LJA owned properties and buildings.
- Effectively supervise the Landscaping Supervisor and the Custodian Supervisors work with respect to: managing and scheduling staff, completion of daily work, meeting the expectations of Executive Management and donors with respect to landscaping, and gardens.
- Establishes standards, plans, schedules, and procedures for expanding, operating, and maintaining the entire Maintenance Operation departments.
- Responsible for interviewing, hiring, evaluating, training, disciplining, and coaching staff for the purpose of maintaining adequate and effective staffing.
- promote and facilitates an environment of knowledgeable, adequately skilled, well-trained staff, and to empower staff to work independently within stated parameters
- Schedule weekly maintenance staff on call rotations.
- Maintains strong relationships with employees, contractors, the general public, and representatives of agencies in the area surrounding Haywood County through.
- solid and effective communication
- commitment to providing responsive and conscientious customer service
- effectively presenting job related information upon request to customers, constituents and employees
- solving practical problems and handling a variety of customer, contractors and employee questions
- Works closely with Fire Marshall and General Liability insurance inspector in an effort to maintain compliance.
- Serves as liaison with outside vendors, contractors and suppliers to coordinate bids, schedule repairs, shipments, etc., and oversees work performed by vendors.
- Work with other leadership staff and outside vendors as an advisor for long range capital expenditures in renovation and improvements of facilities and grounds.
- Must be able to handle and resolve complex building repair and maintenance issues quickly.
- Must be able to read and interpret blueprints, schematics and other building related diagrams.
- Establish and maintain vehicle inspections, tag renewal, and general routine maintenance.
- Responsible for coordinating tree removal services when property damage is possible.
- Responsible for the preparation, and management of the departmental budgets.
- Must possess excellent hospitality skills and a strong desire to foster an attitude of Christian hospitality to “exceed guest expectations”.
- Comply with all safety policies, practices and procedures and report any unsafe activities or conditions immediately to supervisor or the Human Resources department.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned and required.