Position: Design Associate
Reports to: Vice President of Design and Preconstruction Services
The Design Associate is responsible for a wide range of project support and administrative support activities within the Design and Preconstruction Services department in order to facilitate the execution of construction projects in a manner which aligns with the Flaherty & Collins Properties mission: “Flaherty & Collins develops relationships, builds trust, manages partnerships… It’s about Creating a Lasting Legacy.”
Project duties include working closely with the members of the project team in order to facilitate the assessment and execution of projects at all phases of design. During feasibility stage of a project, the design associate will be actively engaged working with the internal team to assess viability of new project opportunities including municipal zoning analysis, site assessments, development of test fits, compilation of metric data and preparation of RFP information if required. Throughout the remainder of a project, the responsibilities will in working with the project design manager to ensure a successful execution of the project.
Departmental support functions include assistance with the development and refinement of standardized documentation; preparation of monthly reporting documentation; collaboration with internal construction, management and development staff to assess opportunities for process improvements; and other functions to support the success of projects, the team and Flaherty & Collins Properties as a whole.
Duties and Responsibilities:
While the following information should be considered a comprehensive description of this position, it must be understood that some responsibilities and duties may not be specifically addressed. Each employee is expected to perform any reasonable task or request that is consistent with fulfilling Flaherty & Collins Properties company objectives.
- Preparation of test fit site plans, massing diagrams, and associated metric data.
- Research and assemblage of initial due diligence for projects including, but not limited to local zoning information, building codes and ordinances, key design and construction companies, and other regional specific information
- Preparation and maintenance of Project Requirements and Basis of Design documentation through coordination with FCP Development.
- Assisting the FCP Design & Precon staff on the scheduling of meetings with municipalities as required to obtain necessary project entitlements including coordination of attendees and necessary deliverables.
- Assistance with the preparation, distribution and assessment of Request for Proposals for selection of design and other consultants as required to execute the project
- Assistance with the communications with Design Team throughout the project process
- Assistance with the organization and participation in regularly scheduled design meetings with appropriate parties throughout the design process
- Assisting the FCP Design & Precon staff to compile comprehensive reviews of design documents at appropriate stages in design process for design, value, constructability, compliance with F&C Design Standards, and incorporation of previous comments.
- Assistance with the preparation of project Bid Manual(s) and coordination of bidding process in collaboration with estimator and/or project manager
- Coordination and management of filing documents in FCP computerized filing systems.
- Coordination with appropriate authorities having jurisdiction to prepare submittals and attain necessary permits for project
- Assistance with the development and refinement of standardized protocols and documentation for procurement of products and services
- Organization and maintenance of document management system for project information in electronic and physical formats including oversight of the project materials library
- Assessment and management of opportunities for rebate and incentive programs on materials purchased and programs/credits available to new projects
- Evaluation and assessment of technology, software and best practices which could be beneficial to the execution of projects or portions thereof
- Attendance at progress meetings and performance of onsite construction observations to continue to develop the understanding of the construction trades, project coordination and site logistics.
- Performance of other duties as assigned
To be determined based upon experience level
Duties and Responsibilities:
Conduct all business in accordance with company policies and procedures, Fair Housing, Americans with Disabilities Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, and all other laws pertaining to Construction.