Position: Audio-Visual Counselor
Location: Idyllwild, CA
Work Year: Summer Season (Estimated June, July, August)
Responsible to: Camp Director/Assistant Camp Director/Head Counselor(s)
The AstroCamp AV position is responsible for assisting the counseling and program staff with their audio, visual, and property needs for all summer camp events. The ultimate goal is to produce professional-quality camp events (lights, sound, music, props, sets, etc) that are flawlessly executed. The AV is charged with taking the ideas of the counseling and program staff and helping to turn them into reality. As a result, the AV must have a wide array of experience in both the digital and physical world whether solving audio problems in a camp movie or constructing a camp event façade for an event.
The AV must have:
- Great working knowledge of:
- theatrical light and sound systems
- microphone and PA systems
- computer and projection equipment
- shooting footage and sound and using editing software
- carpentry and the use of power tools and other powered equipment
- Strong organizing and time management skills.
- Be able to manage set up and tear down of multiple events on a single night with varying AV needs.
- The ability to work and clearly communicate with different members of staff in different departments.
- Initiative to make events better and go above and beyond to create unique experiences for campers and staff alike.
Specific Responsibilities (Examples of Duties):
You are Audio-Visual Staff
- Audio Visual Support
- Set up and take down of any AV needs for ALL camp events including:
- Arrival and Departure Days
- Crew Nights
- Elective Nights
- Pool Parties
- Final Night Slideshows, Dinners, Awards & Ceremonies
- Other events as directed by the Summer Director
- Assist in the development and creation of props and other items needed for camp events including but not:
- Ordering of supplies and organizing materials
- Overseeing and completing small construction projects
- Creating awards, trophies, signage, and other camp activity-related needs.
- Act as a Host/DJ/MC at camp events as needed and approved by Summer Camp Director
- All Sessions
- Collect film as available to help produce future summer camp marketing material
- Consult with Summer Program Director weekly to go over best times to film and or review footage previously shot.
- The AVP is responsible for the care and maintenance of all equipment in their charge including but not limited to computers, flashes, cameras, lenses, SD cards, PA systems, wired and wireless mics, lights, power tools and other equipment and accessories.
You are Counseling Staff
- Train with counselors in all categories pertaining to camper interaction
- Eat with campers at least 2 meals a day
- Night Watch every night (after Campers are asleep)
- When not taking photos or working on essential social media, be present at Rec Time and evening program
- When not working on upcoming AV needs be out and engage with campers
- As best as possible, work to get all necessary tasks done during the day
- Any other task deemed fit by Camp Director and Head Counselor(s)
- Must be able to effectively work with the campers, counselors, supervisors and other staff.
- Ability to communicate any problems with staff or campers to Camp Director, Assistant Camp Director, or Head Counselor(s).
- Ability to assist campers and staff in the transition of camp life.
- Good physical condition with mobility, visual and auditory skills to maintain control of 8-10 campers in a variety of environments (in the dorms, on hikes, in learning sessions, in the water, etc).
- Ability to lift, carry and move heavy objects when necessary.
- Good communication and organization skills are necessary to ensure a good experience for the staff and campers.
- Ability to properly respond to emergency situations and enforce appropriate safety rules.
- Full meals at the camp dining hall when the kitchen is in operation.
- Workers compensation insurance and state disability insurance.
- Ability to participate in camp programs.
- Opportunity to live and work in a beautiful outdoor environment.
Special Skills & Abilities/Mental and Physical Demands:
Note: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Staff may perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the organization. Management reserves the right to add, modify, change or rescind work assignments and to make reasonable accommodations as needed.
The employee member is subject to environmental conditions found working indoors/outdoors. The employee member is frequently subject to extreme heat, with temperatures up to 80-95 degrees with humidity of 75 100 % while moving around in and outside of camp. The employee member is frequently subject to loud noise when working in or around the camp. The employee member is subject to hazards which include proximity to moving mechanical parts, equipment, sharp objects, and exposure to cleaning chemicals and animals. Other hazards may include slick floors and hot stoves, cookware, plate ware or glassware. The employee member is occasionally subject to atmospheric conditions such as fumes, odors, or dust.
(To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions).
I hereby acknowledge that I have read and understand the content of this job description. I understand the Company at its discretion may revise the job description from time to time in the future. I understand and agree that nothing in this job description should be construed as a contract of employment and that employment with this Company is at-will meaning that the terms of employment may be changed with or without notice, with or without cause, including, but not limited to termination, demotion, promotion, transfer, compensation, benefits, duties and location of work.
First-year counselors will receive $500.00/week.