In an authentically diverse community reflective of Los Angeles, New Roads prepares young people for life by developing in them a personal dedication to learning, a respect for independent thinking, an expanding curiosity about the world and its people, and a commitment to the common good.
The part-time Upper School Math Teacher is a professional, experienced and passionate educator with teaching experience at the upper school level (grades 9-12) in mathematics at least through Pre-Calculus. This is a part-time position (4 hours per week).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- An understanding of, and commitment to, New Roads’ philosophy and approach to education.
- A firm commitment to social justice and working with a diverse community.
- Thorough knowledge of subject matter, including use of correct math vocabulary, and effectiveness in teaching.
- Ability to teach both procedural and conceptual problems through application.
- Experience and interest in differentiated instruction, project-based, constructivist approach to teaching and learning, as well as portfolio, authentic, and performance assessment.
- Solid organization, communication and writing skills.
- Excellent classroom management skills.
- Ability to develop lesson plans.
- Assign and grade class work, homework, tests, and assignments as appropriate.
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team.
- Demonstrated mastery of broad Mathematical content
- Provide students with opportunities and support in the development of critical thinking and problem solving skills, the exploration of ideas, and the development of leadership qualities.
- Maintain and communicate high expectations and boundaries in a consistently kind, clear and respectful manner.
- Maintain a climate of trust and mutual respect, which encourages students to risk asking questions, expressing their opinions, and making mistakes necessary to the learning process.
- Ensure students are engaged through activities and technology that accommodate various learning styles, personality styles, behavioral styles, and the need for physical movement.
- Collaborate with classroom teachers to create interdisciplinary units that teach grade-level content knowledge and skills through Mathematics.
- Provide ongoing and timely feedback to students on their progress towards meeting big goals by frequently checking for understanding and formative assessment.
- Communicate respectfully and thoughtfully with parent/ guardians remaining sensitive to different families’ cultures, values and needs.
- Show a commitment to supporting the holistic development of the student, both inside and outside of the class.
- Other duties as assigned