Closing Date: September 19, 2019, 9:59 p.m.
This position may include morning, afternoon, evening, and weekend hours including Sundays. Successful candidate may be required to adapt to future schedule and location changes depending on library needs.
Supervises shelving and library support staff and performs circulation and other public services at a community library to contribute to its effective and efficient operation.
Functions listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
- Perform circulation and related public services to include checking in and out library materials, processing delivery, basic reader's advisory services, and basic reference services.
- Supervise assigned Page and volunteer staff to include interviewing, hiring, training, scheduling, work direction and performance evaluations.
- Serve as technical liaison and assists customers with troubleshooting electronic equipment and computers, performing basic installs and updates, making minor repairs, sending technical reports, as well as liaising with the IT department.
- Provide Polaris training and assistance to include helping staff with questions on procedures, updates, and resources.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
Duties are considered non-essential and include the following:
- May be in charge of the building in the absence of other supervisory staff.
- Participate on various library committees as assigned.
- Prepare correspondences and reports.
- Train new staff as needed.
- Attend meetings, trainings, and workshops as assigned.
- Assist with special projects as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The position reports to the building manager. This position supervises assigned Page and volunteer staff.
Library on Wheels: This position reports to the Library on Wheels Manager. The position supervises Page staff, assigned PSA staff and volunteers.
Core Library Competencies
Employees are expected to demonstrate the following qualities at all times:
- Adaptability: Adjusts nimbly to obstacles or changing conditions to arrive at the desired goals.
- Communication: Expresses self clearly, effectively, and compellingly in written, verbal, and nonverbal messages.
- Customer Service: Builds and maintains responsive, effective relationships with internal and external customers.
- Interpersonal: Accurately perceives others and the impact of one's own behavior to balance relationship and goal needs appropriately and positively in interactions.
- Professionalism: Aligns behavior with the library's mission, values, and strategic focus in serving a diverse stakeholder community.
- Valuing Diversity: Manages relationships with all people inclusively and equitably; conveys respect by valuing and encouraging the unique dimension each employee adds to the organization and each member of the community brings to the whole. Demonstrates an ongoing commitment to expand one's own awareness, knowledge, and skills of others' cultures, beliefs, identities, languages, interpersonal styles, and behaviors.
Supervisors/managers are expected to demonstrate the following qualities at all times:
- Develops/Empowers Others: Fosters others' learning and development to high standards in alignment with the library's mission, values, and strategic goals.
- Judgment/Decision Making: Gathering and sifting relevant data to think logically, strategically, and insightfully to make sound decisions, even under stress.
- Leadership: Melding a group of competent, diverse individuals into a high-performing team or organization that collaboratively meets its goals.