The Operations Manager oversees order and transaction processing in the Customer Service department including orders and payments for journals, books, and online content. Responsibilities include the management of activities related to accounts receivable, reporting, and information coordinated with APA accounting. This position also serves as a backup to the Call Center Manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Manage Data and Batch Processing
- Oversees the data entry, EDI, and batch processing of the department to ensure that orders and payments are processed within a 48 -hour period and posted for month-end closing.
- Manages and coordinates checks, lockboxes, and credit card reports that are required by APA accounting and see that material is processed on a daily basis.
- Know what the workload is on the floor to make decisions about resource allocation.
- Oversees incoming order and payment streams and customer inquiries from the mail, lockbox, and email boxes to ensure timely customer service.
- Supervises staff processing orders, returns, and payments.
- Monitors payments and order accuracy for annual agency renewals.
- Oversees/assist with training and on-boarding of new hires.
- Assist with the creation and updating of operations training materials.
- Manage and Process Institutional Consortia orders.
- Develops and maintains a close working relationship with APPs largest retail and wholesale customers. As their go-to person, provides continuity of contact, understanding of business relationships, and patterns of order/payment.
- Enters all large wholesale and retail payments into Naviga software. Monitors payments, e.g., matching against outstanding balances to avoid large write-offs and chargebacks.
- Reconciles wholesale account balances with APP AR balances semi-annually and monthly for large key accounts such as Barnes and Noble, B&N College Bookstores, Baker and Taylor, and others.
- Manages settlement process with wholesale customers on disputed chargebacks.
- Uploads monthly sales into Naviga from customers such as Amazon.
Manages Accounts Receivable (General Accounts)
- Monitors all accounts receivable over the length of their payment terms for a book, journal, and online customers.
- Researches and resolves customer inquiries relating to accounts receivable and credit matters. Provides a high level of customer service.
- Reviews, prints, and mails statements on a bi-monthly or quarterly basis.
- Monitors and enters all wire payments received, coordinating with Finance Department.
- Works with Subscription and Collections Manager to resolve/research any unidentified/unpaid orders or payments.
Manages Credit Holds in coordination with Subscription and Collections Manager
- The Hold Report flags customers who have placed orders but whose credit has not been established or is in jeopardy. It is run on a daily basis.
- Examines the Hold Report to identify past-due customers, and customers that require proforma's (invoices) or credit applications. Action is taken for each as required.
- Processes all refunds within 48 hours. Determines the legitimacy of a claim based on factors such as if it is within the time limit, the nature of the relationship with the buyer, and the condition of returned materials.
- 2) Resolves customer inquiries concerning refunds and provides timely responses to customers.
- Enters refunds into the secure access section of the Naviga software system.
Manages Customer Credits
- Ensures that customer credits are current and if not used, refunded, or written off. Monitors this process by generating monthly reports in coordination with the Subscription and Collections Manager.
- Verifies and enters all credit adjustments and corrections.
- Functions as a contact person for customers with questions about refund credits.
- Provide support as needed to other department managers.
Liaison with APA Finance Department
- Works closely with the Finance Department to resolve bad check issues and bank chargebacks.
- Works closely with the Finance Department to identify and credit to the proper account unidentified funds received.
- Departmental liaison during the annual audit.